Found a PRETTY pigeon in NW Indiana...help?

gamba

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 29, 2011
Hello everyone,
Looking for information about a very pretty black/white pigeon that has been visiting my yard the past four days, or so. I have been told he could be a English Trumpeter mixed with something else and/or a Russian type Tumbler of the Uzbeck/Sochi type. I have no idea. He seems tame. Doesn't mind my little yappy dogs that go crazy when they see him on the garage. He loves to just walk the length of the yard - jumps onto the bbq grill! And makes himself at home.

we did get a pic of him. I have purchased some grit and some bird seed. I had a flower pot dish full of water for him. I don't know what else to do. I don't know if he is a pet. Can't see a band due to the large massive feathers all over his legs.

I worry that it is getting colder, there have been some predatory type birds unhoused lately with some street widening projects in my town getting hold of him. He is large. Like a crow. So maybe he is safe? I don't know how to catch him. There are no pigeon clubs around here. No notices of missing show pigies. What to do?

Thanks.

Was recently told he/she may be a trumpeter - russian? Not sure. He is staying in the garage and I am hoping I can locate a birder soon before a pigeon eating bird gets to him. I have NO idea really what to feed him or what to do. Not too many people in this area are knowledgeable.

Thanks.

108016_0927111529c.jpg

Last edited:
You might try searching the forums here for pigeon pics to compare him to as a way of confirming type. Not quite sure what to tell you in regards to doing something with him. Bird seed, bread, fresh veggies you may have left over from making dinner. My knowledge of pigeons is pretty much limited to laughing at the darn things try to fly with a hotdog bun stuck on their beak.

english trumpeter . looks pure ,muff just broke off...pigeon do fine in the winter, as long as they can get out of the wind.

My knowledge of pigeons is pretty much limited to laughing at the darn things try to fly with a hotdog bun stuck on their beak.

Would love to see that! lol.
big_smile.png
I've only seen my dogs running around with yogurt cups stuck on their noses!

Just found a guy that told me the bird is an English Trumpeter. He is forwarding my info and the pic to a NPA. I also contacted a man a couple hours from me who is willing to take the bird for he raises several different types of the ET is one of them! YAY. I was told to try using a fishing net to catch him. I so want to help the bird. I don't want him to be lunch/dinner. He is too tame and sweet and he really loves it when the dogs are outside?? He comes walking out of the garage...little does he know, my dogs are not too fond of large black animals at any time walking out of the garage.

Thanks again!!

(And thanks to you too, deerman. )​

Last edited:
Husband helped me to get Birdie into the cage. He--Birdie-- is there now. Its 830 am. The garage is closed and I have lights on. I am trying to figure out a way to get water into the cage that he can actually drink. He is even prettier up close! Should I cover the back of the cage with a dark towel/blanket? Leave all of it open? I have a piece of particle board in the cage for him to stand on. He is in my yorkie's cage. lol The bottom of the cage is very slippery. He is also on the bag of seeds since that is where he landed in the garage when I put the towel over him to get hold of him. I scooped him and the seeds up all in one swoop!

I think the poor guy was quite cold last night and from where he was positioned he stared at the opening of the door all night long. Poor thing.

Jim, the man that raises English Trumpeters, will be calling to let me know where to meet.

Thank you everyone for your help. This Birdie deserves to be around other birdies like him. *It was so funny to watch him fly down to the door opening to chase the finches and sparrows away from his seeds!! Then trying to walk back with all that plumage on his feet. He waddled away looking very proud to get rid of those moochers.

pigeonrescue.com may be able to help you with this little beauty.

Quote:
Thanks those were show stock ,color is called yellow..(which is a sex link color)

Sad part I have sold all my pigeon, well almost all my birds.

Back
Top Bottom