Found a processor in N.E. Texas

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tim1970, Jun 16, 2008.

1. tim1970

tim1970 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2007
    I just wanted to let anyone who lives in the N.E Texas area (Dallas/Fort Worth) about the processor I used today. They charge $1 per bird, and they will leave them whole or cut them up for you. The whole process is done while you wait. The name of the place is Hayes Farm. They are located about 15 miles southeast of Fort Worth.

I had seen a post on this site from a while back that said they had a bad experience there, and the chickens were treated badly before processing. In my opinion, while they definitely do not cuddle the chickens, I wouldn't say they were treated badly. When they went to get them out of my trailer, it looked at first like they were just grabbing whatever part they could find. But actually they grabbed the same part of the bird every time. The birds made a lot less noise then, than when I was trying to catch them this morning. I was also surprised at how clean the processing area was. It was an assembly line setup, with the killing cones, then the scalder, then the plucker, then on to the cutting table. They had water hoses hanging from the ceiling, and would steady be washing everything.

Everybody there was very nice, but I did have problems communicating with them, because I speak very little spanish.

All in all I would definitely use them again.

2. HillCountryMomma

HillCountryMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    This is the second time I've heard good things about this processor! A lady on a homesteading list I'm on told me she's used them for a few years and is always happy with them.

She did say the place *smells* like a slaughter plant (well, yea... but good to be warned I imagine!) but that the actual processing area is very clean.

So tell me, did you need to call ahead and make an appointment? Did you need to bring bags to put the processed chickens in? Did the workers bag & load (into coolers) your processed birds for you?

I have also been told that the language barrier issue is a problem. I speak no Spanish (aside from a few words I've picked up watching Dora with the kids). How bad is it?

I'm a bit South of them so it'd be a bit of a road trip for us to take our chickens up there. I'm kinda depating it though. $1 a bird is cheap!!! I just wish gas was too!

Here is a link to their website:
    http://hayesfarmtexas.com/

Liz

3. tim1970

tim1970 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2007
    There is usually someone there that can speak English. It's just not necessarily the person you happen to need to say something to. They will cut up your chicken or leave it whole. They can bag it, but they charge you for the bags. (It is really cheap though. Large 5 gallon bags that will hold 3 whole birds they sell for 3 for a dollar. The smaller bags are even cheaper). They helped me carry my finished chicken out to my truck where my coolers were. The processing area was very clean. However, it seemed like there was no A/C in there. Just fans. If that is the case, then I would imagine smell might be an issue towards the end of the day. I would say though, even at the end of the day it would still be clean. For example, at the gutting station, they would do 3 or 4 at a time, and then immediately wash everything down. So there never was chicken parts just laying around. There is no appointment required, they process chicken Monday - Thursday from 9:00 - 5:00.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  4. HillCountryMomma

HillCountryMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Thanks for the quick response and extra info Tim! It helps me quite a bit. [​IMG]

Liz

5. hennypenny farm

hennypenny farm New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    I realize that this is an old post, but I am looking for a processor in the DFW area. Does the Hayes farm still exist and do they still process? The web site link was not correct, so I wanted to see if anyone could update. Thank you for any help! I need to order my meat birds but need a processor first!

6. angelia1997

angelia1997 New Egg

Sep 30, 2011
    Just found this thread while trying to hunt a processor down.
    Teels (used to be Jacksons in Weatherford) referred this place..
    Hayes Farm.
    7580 Bennett Lawson Rd.
    Mansfield, Tx
    817 477 1661

open 9-5.. not sure the exact days so call in advance..
    anyhow, right now they charge $2.00 per bird.
    I didnt get any great details like the post before, I was just excited that I could get it done.

7. TamTurkey

TamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    I know of one in Crockett Not sure how north east you are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by