1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found A Snake on the Coop- Good or Bad? (photo)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MrsRevDr, May 15, 2011.

1. MrsRevDr

MrsRevDr Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

Not the best photo, found him curled up on top of the coop in the shade, he was maybe 2 feet long, not mature? I think he could have got inside if he wanted to. Someone said he might be a "rat snake", I live in the Florida panhandle, if I see any again should I kill them ( I would really hate to). After some gentle poking with a shovel he moved along and off into the woods.

2. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Well i would say good enless you have chickies and bad for the snakeif you have full grown chickens if you have chickies find a way to snake proof there cage..A chicken will kill it i would say.

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have any little chicks? If so, I'd be concerned. If not, you're most likely fine. pretty long snake.

4. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    The pic makes him look a lot longer than 2 ft. Not sure what type but snakes do eat rodents. Seen any mice, rats around trying to eat the left over chicken feed? Glad he scurried off and hopefully not to ever return again!!!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Around here they are called either a rat snake or a chicken snake. I had a 2' long one eat a baby chick not long ago. He was probably in the coop looking for eggs. Whenever my egg production drops I go looking for the snake, and usually find a rat snake.

When I lived in a different place we had several bird feeders. They would hang around on or near the feeders for the birds. We always relocated because they also eat mice. I'm not one for relocating most predators -- but a rat snake, definitely. I'd rather lose an egg now and then than get overrun by mice.

6. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    You should probably catch the snake and relocate it . if possible.[​IMG]

7. justafewchickens

justafewchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    I say it looks like a corn snake. They will go after chicks, but full grown chickens or chicks too big for them are safe. They are great for rodent control.

8. MrsRevDr

MrsRevDr Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    My RIR are almost 8 weeks, no evidence he bothered them. I think if he wanted to he could have got one, I have 5 very densely wooded acres behind the coop and that's where he went. Never seen a mouse or rat but they haven't been outside long. He was very long but very skinny, not full grown I suspect. I don't mind him if he doesn't pose a [problem to my growing chickens, does make me reconsider free ranging them in my fence I thought hawks I'd have to worry about but not snakes.

9. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Looks like you've got yourself a common grey rat snake, they are non-venomous. Black rat snakes are common up here. I liked for them to be around because they keep the mice and rats in check. I would be more worried about a snake that size getting an egg or two rather than any of your birds, unless you have chicks. I say live and let live when it comes to snakes, but then, you are talking to the woman who has two snakes as pets. [​IMG] Just sayin'

10. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Yep, what she said, Grey Rat Snake, a/k/a Chicken Snake, harmless but worrisome. I would relocate it, but I realize some people are a little skittish about snakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by