1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found a soft shelled egg this morning!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by squelchy69, Feb 8, 2011.

1. squelchy69

squelchy69 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    London
    Just under the perches! Never seen one before. Googled it and hopefully all is ok. Maybe just an egg laying blip it said.

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    You will get one now and then. Make sure your chickens have access to oyster shell ad lib and you should be fine. [​IMG]

3. Susan Mc

Susan Mc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2011
    Also, sometimes hens will eject eggs that haven't had the shell completely laid down on, especially if they are frightened or suddenly stressed in some manner.
    Do try to remove them as soon as you are able so they don't get a taste for eggs, they are sure to peck at and eat them if left in, which can lead to pecking of every egg they lay.

4. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    We found one in the nestbox the other day, with an egg fart next to it. [​IMG] ew. 99% sure it's from my newest layer, an EE, who's last egg or two has been normal. But she laid about 3 egg farts first, and one of those weird wrapper-looking, lond stringy egg shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by