Found a stray dog- what kind? *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by StarLover21, Mar 12, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yesterday we found a dog near our house. We took him home and are now trying to find his owner. We've put up flyers and adds online. He's a real sweetie, a young male. Super freindly and plays great with our dog! Anybody know what kind he is?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Hard to tell (or rather to guess accurately) from the angle of the photo. Looks like a true Heinz-57 to me. Maybe some shepherd in there, possibly a little beagle, maybe some lab or hound of some kind.

Have you taken him to the vet or local shelter to be scanned for a microchip? Even if microchipping isn't something that people in your area routinely do, lost pets can end up in the strangest places and it costs you nothing to have him scanned. All the local vets, feed stores, and shelters would be a good place to put found dog fliers too. I know if my dog were lost they would be the first places I'd contact to see if anyone had turned him in or seen him.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

yours now?

mutt?

cute?

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    looks like a heeler x shepherd to me, and a very happy one at that! :) Good luck finding his owner!

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'm seeing Heeler, Shepherd, and maybe a drop of Pittie.

6. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I'd call him a hound or Shepherd mix.

I second having him checked for a microchip. I have gotten countless pets back to owners through chips.

Also people always look at the local animal shelter for lost pets so make sure they know you have him. If it was here I'd say go to the Humane society and make sure you personally post a notice. The one here is very apathetic about actually getting pets back to their owners. A friend of mine called looking for her black and white cat once. She was told there were none there. She went the next day, not only was her cat there but 4 other black and whites! UGH!!!

I'd also call/fax all local vets if it was me.

7. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yes, he does look to be a shepard mix. Thanks! I think we have a freind who may be adopting him. Yay! I think he'll have a great home there if he goes. We will check for a microchip- but I doubt he's cared for. He un-neutered too, another sign he isn't cared for. But I'd hate to take him to the pound- he's such a great dog. <3

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    just because he is un-neutered does not mean he isn't cared for. Some people do not agree with altering a dog...he seems to be well socialized. I wouldn't discount that he has a loving home....I would look for two weeks, and if I couldn't find his owner, then I would try to find a home for him...

9. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Shepard mix mutt. But he would probably a loyal and loving pet if you let him/her.

10. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Ears are to short for hound. Shepard mix, maybe lab?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by