Found a super cute coop at lowes today!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Dec 5, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    And it was $1000 $700 something bucks! [​IMG] and guess what else? We are gonna build one just like it for $300 [​IMG] heres a pic [​IMG] had a cute little chicken door to, and the chicken door could close and everything! Im gonna use this for the ducks, and put roosts in for my chickens [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was 8 feet long, and 4 feet wide, do you think 12 ducks, and 4 to 6 chickens would fit in here? I would reqlly like to house them together [​IMG] (BTW you can also walk in so its pretty talll, so I will put in high roosts so the chickens can get off the ground away from the ducks [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Well ducks would be on the floor at night and the chickens would be roosting, so yes I think they would fit. Depends though.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Thanks. And its about 5 or 6 feet tall, so im hopeing they could. They will also be free ranging during the day [​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I have a small 4x8 coop, seems small for that many birds. That is only 32 square feet for 16-18 birds, less than 2 square feet each (this would be like 1 foot by 2 foot space for each bird), not to mention space used for feeder and waterer. Not sure about mixing chickens and ducks in such a small space.

5. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    It's very cute!!!! [​IMG]

When I shut my adult ducks in their house at night (in winter) they have about 4.5 sq feet per duck. My 7 ducklings (now full grown) also have 4.5 sq feet per bird. They are in a pen that's exactly the size of this house that you are thinking of but the walls on half of it are all welded mesh so ventilation is really good.

With a floor area of 32 sq feet in this house your 12 ducks would have about 2.6 sq feet each. It's do-able, but it'd be very squashy. You'd want to make sure the ventilation was very good. Without excellent ventilation it'll get pretty horribly stinky in there each night - lots of ammonia which is not good for their eyes.

Can you make two of them, or make one bigger one? Or - make one with a run of equal size attached to it so they can go out if they want to?

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Would 8x6 be any better? Or should I just make another smaller one for the chickens? (which I would rather not do since im kinda broke [​IMG]) do the chickens need to have a coop big enough for me to walk into? (wrong thread to be galking about this though)

7. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, I think that 8 x 6 with good ventilation would be fine for 12 ducks as a night house.

The chickens would be happier in their own house. I don't think a chicken house has to be walk-in. You don't have to do anywhere near the cleaning that you do with ducks.

So I'd make one 8 x 6 for the ducks and one lower one that's 6 x 4 for the chickens. It'd make a cute pair of houses.

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    70%cocoa :

Yes, I think that 8 x 6 with good ventilation would be fine for 12 ducks as a night house.

The chickens would be happier in their own house. I don't think a chicken house has to be walk-in. You don't have to do anywhere near the cleaning that you do with ducks.

So I'd make one 8 x 6 for the ducks and one lower one that's 6 x 4 for the chickens. It'd make a cute pair of houses.

Yeah it would be cute. Also the houses would look like our house [​IMG] [​IMG] the chickens would have to have a temperary house. So will the ducks. I still need to save money to build the duck house. Lol! Thanks again 70%!​

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    You mean 1700$ [​IMG] and they used chicken wire over the windows? [​IMG] Can't help on dimensions and such.. i only have ducks lol and we built our barn based on what could fit on some huge, industrial skids.. i don't even recall what the measurements are.. all i know is 8 Muscovy fit in it, just fine.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  10. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Yupers! Says the price in the pic. On the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by