1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

found a teeny tiny brown egg on the floor of my coop....who laid it lol??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chkncrzdhppdyz, Jul 28, 2016.

1. chkncrzdhppdyz

chkncrzdhppdyz New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    We have 26 total birds in our coop.
    4 white Columbians, black sex links, Plymouth Barr and silkies (not sure if they are hens yet) 2 Murdoch ducks and 2 Americana.
    None of these birds are older than 16 weeks. I have 5 older hens that lay big eggs 2 brown and 3 blue.
    However some days i have been finding 3 brown eggs laid but they are all the same size.
    Yesterday we found a very small brown egg on the floor of the coop. Who laid it??thought maybe a silkies but they are only 3 months old and the big one are only 4 months??i think we have 2 or 3 new chickens laying just unsure who and who is laying these peewee ones?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and :welcome. Great to have you here. Sometimes chickens just seem to lay an unusually large or small egg. Often times a really small one will not have a yolk. Here is an awesome article by moderator Sumi that tells you all about egg formation and why some look the way they do. It's a great read. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems
    Good luck to you!

3. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Could have been any of the brown egg layers. Especially a hen just starting out. But it can happen anytime.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Teeny tiny eggs are called wind, fart or fairy eggs. They're a glitch in a layer's system, not an egg from a new layer. Whoever laid it should be back to normal in a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by