Found a Teeny Tiny Dutch Bantam on the side of the road-UPDATE w/pic!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickensioux, Sep 24, 2009.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My friend, The Old Rebel called me and said there is a tiny chicken loose on the side of the road. She could not stop at the time because she was running late. My DH and I jumped in the car and went to the area she said she saw it. There are NO houses anywhere in that area. There is a church, grocery store, Dr's. office and a very busy hwy. and crossroad. Traffic was everywhere, needless to say we stopped traffic in both directions to catch this fast little booger. (Had to look ridiculous) She appears to be healthy but The Old Rebel will keep her isolated until we know for sure.
    How did she get there? A Dutch too. I have a Dutch and I thought mine was small, this one is sooooo tiny.
    Very strange area for a loose chicken. Anyway, just thought it was strange and had to share. Ever "find" a stray chicken?

[​IMG]
    This is the little girl we found---What is she?
    [​IMG]
    This is my little Dutch-"Heidi".

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    wow what a lucky chick [​IMG]

maybe a box of chicks in shipment opened up and it fell out?

3. Chickie Cheepers

Chickie Cheepers New Egg

Aug 31, 2009
    I saw a chicken at a bus stop.

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Lucky chicken.....keep us posted....[​IMG]

5. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    a road treasure... thank you for going to get it... alot of people would have said forget it

6. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    One day I went out to feed my chickens and there was a new one I had never seen before hanging around the edges!! Obviously a nice little old english game hen. I assumed someone was playing a prank on me so I asked around, but no one had ever seen it before. I live on a 40-acre farm so I figured it had come a long way to live in my chicken paradise (free-range, every day) so I just let it stay here. It befriended some hens and now it buddies around with them and sleeps in the coop. She seems happy so I let her stay. That was a year ago and I still have no idea where she came from.

Your story of holding up traffic to catch a tiny chicken cracks me up!

7. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Are you sure its not a serama or japanese lol since its so small

8. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I was also going to ask if it could be a Serama... POST PICS!! [​IMG]

9. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Aww! You're such a hero!!! [​IMG]

I havent heard from The old Rebel In a While! its been too long since she has had a chance to get on. Mind telling her I said Hi if you get the chance to remeber?

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:I surely will, we talk almost daily. Will post a pic of this little girl as soon as I can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by