1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found a very strange egg in the nest box today... PICTURES

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Muffin14143, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Double Yolker

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Triple or more Yolker

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. No Yolk

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. No Shell

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Strange shape

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Strange size

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Strange color

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Strange insides

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Muffin14143

Muffin14143 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    New England
    When I went out to feed and water the chickens this afternoon, l found a very strange egg. It looks like it came from my Bantam Cochin, Eloise, based on the shape and color, but one thing really made this egg different. The size! This egg is TEENY! I have never had any strange eggs before, minus the occasional shell-less egg. I will post a picture. The first egg in the picture of a typical egg from this hen, the second is the tiny egg. Is something wrong? Eloise has always been a pretty robust hen. This possibly could have come from another hen, but I am pretty sure it's hers. I have a pretty small hand too. lf you are wondering on the scale, the egg is about as big as a quarter.

[​IMG]

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    That happens sometimes, especially with young hens.

It's nothing to worry about.

3. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Some people call them "fart" eggs because they're so teeny!

4. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    Last summer, I found an egg on the ground in the run that was the size of a marble, less than 1" diameter. I tried to blow it out as I wanted to save it but it busted instead, it had a teeny little bloody yolk in it. Then earlier that spring I got a HUGE egg from one of the production reds (116.7 grams, 5.1 cm wide, and 7.6 cm long, and a couple of them regularly lay jumbo-sized eggs)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Muffin14143

Feb 11, 2013
    New England
    Wow! That is so cool! Glad I have nothing to worry about, Eloise is a real pet, and I would be really upset if something was wrong. She is about two and a half years old.

6. blmack

blmack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Pace, FL
    I occasionally get an egg that is very bumpy and misshapen. The shell looks very thick but it is fragile. The inside of the egg is normal. I don't know which of my hens is laying the weird egg. Anyone know anything?

7. Muffin14143

Feb 11, 2013
    New England
    I'm sorry, I can't help you here, but do you think you could set up a motion sensored camera or a webcam to catch the hen that's laying the egg? Then, perhaps you could examine her and figure out what is wrong. All my hens lay pretty different looking eggs, which is very useful in determining who layed what.

8. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    It is another thng that you don't have to worry about. These things happen. Idk what you mean by occasionally, but there are a lot of factors that can cause it, and if it's not a very regular thing, dont worry about it. Try some oyster shell, layer, and / or adding a few sunflower seeds to the feed, if you're not already doing that. ACV helps with producing normal eggs, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by