1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found a very sweet rooster in Clearwater, Florida in our yard....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JPM2600, May 8, 2011.

1. JPM2600

JPM2600 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    My son found a cute little rooster in our front yard 4 days ago. It is actually very sweet and it even fell asleep in my son's lap the other day. We placed an ad on Craigs List hoping someone might be looking for it, but so far no response. None of our neighbors have any idea who it might belong to either.

I will take it to the SPCA as a last resort, but - I'm hoping someone who is equipped for chickens in this area will take it and give it a good home. Please e-mail me if you would like to take it. In the mean time, we've been feeding it bread and water - is this okay or should I be giving it something else as well?

Thanks!

Mary in Florida

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    What a sweet little guy. Chickens love bread as treats, but he would benefit from a little more nutrition. They can actually eat a lot of what we eat: rolled oats, peas, scrambled eggs, greens like romaine or spinach.

3. happyhappy

happyhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Napa, CA
    Mary - It is very nice of you to take him in and try to find his owner, do you live in the country or city are roosters allowed in your area? I'm asking because most areas in subs. ban roosters which means he flew a long way and most birds have their wings trimmed as to not fly far!

Do you have any bird seed around for something else like it for him to eat? Possibly give him some greens, lettuce, carrot tops, cauilflour, broccoli whatever you have in the fridge or garden!? If he is that friendly he might be picky but usually not! Bread and water has no nutrition but I am sure you did not know you would have a house quest! LOL

I's advise to watch out you ( and your son) seem to be getting attached already chickens are very good pets thats why everyone on here wants to help, I am sure you will get many more replys and am just starting out only a year with my flock but I am forever hooked. Good luck and [​IMG] from Napa, CA!

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  5. JPM2600

May 8, 2011
    Thanks everyone so far for the replies and the helpful information. Yes, we are getting a bit attached which is why I want to make sure it goes to a good home rather than the SPCA. I am SO hoping someone close will see this post and adopt "Roger the Rooster" (as my son calls him LoL)

6. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] I hope you find a home for the little guy, unfortunately roosters aren't the easiest to re-home.

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I feel a sudden urge to visit my sister in Largo, Fl.

8. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks for making Roger a happy boy while he is with you. I hope that you're able to find him a good home... or maybe, just maybe, he'll make you become a chicken family. He would love to have at least 3 or 4 hens... [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. JPM2600

May 8, 2011
    LoL My son is begging me to keep it - but, sadly, that is out of the question [​IMG]

To the old chick, How far from Largo do you live?

10. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Hey there, neighbor!

Unfortunately, it will be very very difficult for you to find a home for him close by, as roosters are not allowed in most of Pinellas County. He may have been dumped for that very reason. You might want to post a picture on Craig's List just in case someone wants whatever particular breed he is, or you can take him to a chicken swap. I've had to re-home four roosters so far, and I don't ask questions about their fate.
    Does he crow much? If he doesn't crow I wonder if I could harbor him for a while.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by