Found a Winter Hoop House Design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by suburbanhomesteader, Sep 23, 2007.

1. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an interest in ferrocement construction, but stumbled upon this winter hoop house as I was surfing.

It doesn't look too expensive; maybe $40 for the Tek-foil? But it looks like it does a HECK of a job in cold weather!!!

Let me know what you think

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/blog/2005/12/winter-hen-coop.html

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Thanks for the link.
    I had seen the page earlier this year, he's got some usefull information on raising pigs and a good sounding brine recipe. but lost the link and couldnt find it again when I was looking for a recipe for smoking a pig we butchered this summer.

I still have to say dont build any coup or run shorter than you feel like crawling through. I built a similar one and gave up on trying to get in it after the wire went over it. But with a few more bales of straw around the bottom a person might be able to make this managable.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Apparently, they keep a pack of dogs loose around the coop, to kill any predators. If you don't have the same set-up, you might need to make some modifications to the design. [​IMG]

4. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Anyone notice the comments (Dan and Liz) under the post concerning the escalation of taxes and how it is all the fault of the exorbitant teacher salaries? Any teachers here? Nobody I know who is in education feels like their salaries are exorbitant. What small-minded people...

5. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:it's just not that cold for very long where i live, but i would think that having a low ceiling would help conserve heat.

greginshasta:
    as for the comments about teachers, two things:
    1) I didn't read further than the "how to" for the coop.
    2) As with all internet surfing, it takes some skilled winnowing to keep the gems and put the rest in the compost heap where it belongs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by