Found a "worm" on the breast?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Tracydr, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Was processing a "gimp" Cornish X today with broken leg. Kinda felt bad because the poor pullet had to wait for the holiday weekend to end before I could process her. Anyway, I saw something I hadn't seen before. Her breast was quite dirty, I'm sure from not walking for four days. But, I found this nasty, 1/4 inch long, corkscrew shaped "worm" hooked into the the surface of the breast meat. Color was white and it was well attached. I'd say it was roundish body, probably not flat. I've tried to search for a picture and can't find anything like it.
    Any ideas? I've seen something like it in fish but never in chicken.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Have you looked up bot fly larva? That is the first thing that comes to my mind.

3. Tracydr

Definitely not a bot. It's very threadlike. Not maggot like or fat like a bot-worm.
    Almost looked like lightweight fishing line in consistency and thickness.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  4. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    The only thing I can find on worms in the flesh is Trichinella spiralis. But I don't know if chickens can carry it.

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I've seen what you're talking about, but I didn't think it was a "worm". I thought they were just pin feathers. Now you have me wondering.

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Because she was spending a bit of time on the ground, perhaps it was hookworm.
    [​IMG]

7. Tracydr

Quote:That's exactly what it looks like!
    Now, what?

8. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    That's the only answer I have...
    What to do now? Dunno. I'll read up on it though. I know hookworms live in the soil.

9. Tracydr

So, sounds like it doesn't really belong on my chickens. My dogs and cats. Were recently tested, clean of parasites. Cooked meat should be safe. I cleaned out that area of the breast and it wouldn't survive cooking anyway. It would normally burrow into the intestines through an animals bare feet, usually a dog, cat or sometimes a person in a warm, subtropical or tropical area. I guess I just won't worry about it too much, disgusting as it is.[​IMG]

10. nurse_turtle

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I wouldn't worry about it either. Maybe it was a young worm and skipped worm-class the day they discussed which animals to infest. I vote, chicken pie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by