Found abandonned Valley Quail eggs.....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Chiko, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    K so I went to my backyard today to check on my hens and I saw a little nest in some bushes!!!! They were I guess abandoned by the mother because just now I saw a mother quail with 4 chicks in the neighbor's yard. And there was eggshells in the nest so these eggs were abandoned. Anyway I decided to take them down into my incubator (This was around 7 hours ago) and when I went down right now...I had four Valley Quail chicks! I have them in a small box with Quail starter on the floor. They have a heat lamp also. Is that enough? What else do
    I need to do with them? Should I try and find momma [​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Sounds like you did the right think. No, I don't think I'd look for the mother, I doubt she'd take them back even if you did find her again.

3. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Alright so what do I do? They jump right when they see me look into the box.
    I have themon 16% protein quail starte. But they aren't paying much attetntion to it [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:If they just hatched, then they just aborbed their yolk sacs and they may just not be hungry yet. Be sure you have a jar lid, or some other shallow dish in their brooder so they do not drown. Did their beaks in the water and make them all get a good drink, keep doing so until you notice them drinking on their own. They usually catch on pretty fast. Also, you may need to crush your crumbles up so they can eat them better. Good luck

5. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Great I'll do that right away.

6. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Woo we must have pics!!!!

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    In Most States Removing Eggs From A Wild Nest, Even Abandoned Eggs Is Highly Illegal

8. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:In all states... JJ is correct call one of those wildlife rehabber people and give the eggs to them

9. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Are you serious? OMg but the babies already hatched.

10. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

call a wildlife rehabber

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by