found an egg (how do i know if its alive??)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TreyClark281, Sep 6, 2007.

1. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i found an egg and i cant buy an bator so what are my other options.
    it is a duck egg.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

make a bator, i made one out of a styrafoam cooler from walmart, some wire we had laying around, and a christmas light, it cost me like 5 dollars or whatever the cooler cost. I want to use a different light the next time.

[​IMG]

I've also read about people using an electric skillet, no personal experience with that though...

3. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    what about the humidity?

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Alot of people just use a damp sponge, kept consistently moist, or some just use a bowl of water. Keeping the temperature and humitity constant just take more hands on work, then using a mechanical incubator.

So what are your plans if you are successful?

5. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    if it hatches i will keep it but im moving by a pond and i could say that the duck just stated to come near my house and so i let it in my yard and fed it..
    so i have to get rid of my chicken [​IMG] but i gain a duck.. [​IMG]

6. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ok my dad doesnt beleive that its going to hatch and he wont buy anything like a cooler for it lights ANYTHING! i hope it hatches just to prove him wrong [​IMG]
    lol.
    well i have a plastic container and some towels and about to find a light to put in it.
    and a sponge.

and i need complete directions lol

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  7. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    do a search through the archives of the incubating thread, there are a lot of good suggestions about different 'free' materials a person could find to put together a homemade incubator.

8. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ok how do i know if its alive..
    i can see the little duck in there but idk if its alive..

9. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Good luck on it, Trey

I am not sure how to, I didnt have too much luck with my chicken eggs, I couldnt even tell if there was anything inside.
    But I have read of people hatching them in lots of ways, I wonder how far along it is, if you can see the lil duck, I would think its close! Some of the girls on here have put them in their bra's if there was only a day or so to go til hatching! I wonder if you could fashion somethin under your arm or something. lol

Are you gonna sell Zoolander, wow hard to believe. How is she doing, her eye all better?

10. TreyClark281

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    ya i got a clear bucket and some towels and some socks and a light and some water and it is keeping it warm i turn it everyday
    ya im going to sell her...
    i might be able to keep the duck.
    her eye is great!! i left for oklahoma for a week and i came back to a huge chicken and a healed eye! lol.

you had eggs?
    maybe you should try again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by