found an egg!!! update....I see veins!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Mrs. Turbo, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    any one else????? I wonder if it is fertile.....they have been "busy" down by the pond so I will keep my fingers crossed. Hope this is a fluke because I don't have my breeding pens ready yet.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Congratulations!

I can't offer any expertise on eggs, but I do know you can eat the eggs if you don't want the goslings yet.

3. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Last year quite a few of geese owners across the U.S. had early eggs.
    My geese started breeding and laying like crazy in November.
    I mean like full-fledged breeding season!
    This went on for about a month and then they stopped and
    started up again in late February which is when they typically
    start around here (mid - late Feb.)
    Another time I had a goose lay about 10 eggs in December
    so I guess these things just happen but I'm not sure why since
    my geese are not exposed to artificial light during the fall or winter months.
    Even if the eggs were fertile (I didn't check) I would never attempt to incubate
    off season eggs since I wouldn't want to raise goslings during the winter months
    in our cold climate.

4. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    got another one today..... I have the incubator going for chicken eggs so I may as well see if they are fertile..... [​IMG]
    Mine were also breeding in Nov. last year

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    No mating here yet. But the ganders have been tussling a bit more than usual lately. [​IMG] Good luck with the fertility on your eggs. [​IMG]

6. buffgoose

buffgoose New Egg

Dec 26, 2010
    I found a goose egg Dec 31st and then another Jan 2. This is very early and I am wondering if it is normal
    for geese to lay an egg every other day? I am also wondering what to use for a "dummy" egg when I take
    her eggs in the house to keep them from freezing.

7. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    I have had a Sebastopol setting now for two weeks. She has about 10 eggs. Also a NeNe on a nest with another getting ready to sit.

Walt

8. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    I have mine in the incubator.....after such a bad hatch last season I will take any I can get this year. My geese don't go broody for some reason. I left eggs out there 2 years in a row hoping they would hatch them.

9. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Mine started laying a couple weeks ago, but suddenly stopped. I'm kind of relieved because I was afraid they'd "run out" of eggs when the weather finally breaks. No way I want to hatch now and have to keep goslings in the house- yikes!

10. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Mrs. Turbo :

I have mine in the incubator.....after such a bad hatch last season I will take any I can get this year. My geese don't go broody for some reason. I left eggs out there 2 years in a row hoping they would hatch them.

Sometimes mine will sit and sometimes not....same female. Usually the Sebastopols will all sit. It is a lot easier for me to have the mom raise them.

Walt​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by