Found an injury on a baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ~chickiddy~do~da~, Apr 23, 2008.

1. ~chickiddy~do~da~

~chickiddy~do~da~ Hatching

Apr 23, 2008
    South Dakota
    I noticed one of my baby chicks had a bloddy scab are on her back yesterday am. Then last night I noticed some of the other babies holding her down with their little feet and taking turns pecking at the scab. I cant make them stop. I have isolated the chick now, but dont know what is causing this behavior. How do I treat the scab, when can I put her back.

I am a newbie, just bought a farm in October and am trying to fill it with fun farm animals, starting with chickens. I have a nice coop that came with the farm.

Not sure what I am doing. I am jumping in head first. I have 58 chickens, 17 ducks, and 2 turkeys. I have only lost 2 chicks since starting this adventure on April 1st and dont want to lose another!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have not put the chickens outside yet, are they getting cabin fever? I put the ducks out for the first time on Saturday, it just started getting nice here in South Dakota.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  2. It is called pecking. They other chicks peck at the others. What color heat lamp do you have?

3. ChelC

ChelC In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    They probably only keep pecking at it because it looks curious. The intial pecking could be due to boredom or overcrowding.

4. ~chickiddy~do~da~

~chickiddy~do~da~ Hatching

Apr 23, 2008
    South Dakota
    I have a red light. Maybe they are getting crowded...I think I could move them to bigger quarters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: