Found an Owl walking over to my chicken coop

Glaser Coop

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2020
Dallas, TX
The other day I went outside to clean up my tools and noticed something walking towards my coop. Initially, I thought it was a cat, but then it had beautiful glowing eyes and spread its wings to fly away. It looked like a barred or horn owl (can't remember full species title) My run is enclosed although I need to modify it and I close the hen house door.. Since all 3 of my hens sleep in the hen house and the door is shut; so the owl saw no chickens..Will he keep coming back? What are their habits? Mind you I live in the hood by fairpark in South Dallas... I was shocked to see am owl.

It could be after rodents. Owls like chickens too. I have had owls around and if they can find away they will kill a bird. I lost some awhile back. All of my pens are covered with netting. Most is good heavy duty netting but I ran short and bought some netting online that turned out to be crappy and an owl went right through it three times and killed some birds. Each time I replaced the crappy netting it went through with more of the crappy netting, at the time that was all I had. I moved the birds to another coop and put up a camera in the one the owl got in. I didn't know how the owl got in. It came back. I have since replaced it with good netting and the owl tried again but this time got caught in the netting. We managed to get it into a cage and a wildlife rescue came and got it. It was a Great Horned Owl. Good luck...
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg
IMG_20200229_133056.jpg
DSCF0001621 06.jpg
DSCF0002624 06.jpg

I stayed up last night to see if he came back, but he didnt, thank goodness! My girls free range, I dont think owls hunt during the day. However, I heard they study habits, so he may return..I keep the girls locked up and today im reinforcing the wire with 1x4 across the and join the netting by clamping it in between the 1x4. I have so much wood laying around..

Back
Top Bottom