found baby bird by run. what do i do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheBeatlesAddict, Jul 8, 2010.

1. TheBeatlesAddict

TheBeatlesAddict Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    elkhart, indiana
    its an ugly little thing but i couldnt just leave him so ive got it in and old bird cage with a shallow lid full of water. what do i feed it? i didnt really want any more animals to take care of other than the 4 i have and ironically i just told my df this before i found it. i cant just leave it to struggle and die..... any tips/advice would be GREATLY appreciated

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Baby wild birds will not drink water. The get their hydration from the regurgitated food brought by Mom. You're in a pickle, too, if you can't identify the variety of bird. Some are seed eaters, some are bug/worm eaters. If you feed it the wrong thing, it can kill it in spite of your good intentions. If you know what kind of bird it is, come back and post that. Someone may have some insight on how to keep it alive through the night. Tomorrow, however, call your local animal shelter or animal control officer and ask about any wildlife rescue organizations in your area that can take this chick off your hands.

3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Wow, I actually just found a baby bird, too! My thread has some useful info, do a search for my username, and "baby bird".

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Are we talking wild bird here? Eye dropper and thin rice baby food... I keep the dry on hand for almost any wild critter... then depending on what kind of bird it is, add tiny pieces of fruit or worms (hamburger). But be warmed, they need to be feed at least every hour and lots in the early morning when they first wake up. Add more variety as it gets older and make it start picking up it's own food asap so it doesn't always have to be hand feed. Good luck.

5. TheBeatlesAddict

May 27, 2010
    elkhart, indiana
    ive done some looking online and it looks like a baby robin. i tried to get a picture but he wont stay still

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
  7. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    are you absolutely, positively sure, that momma isn't around?

most wildlife found, is just waiting for mom to come back.
    and chances of them surviving, without mom, is minimum.

sorry.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My friend saved a baby robin by feeding it thinned out canned cat food...

9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Great... shouldn't be a problem... worms AND fruit it is then... tiny pieces (tweezers feel like a mom's beak but fingers work too) and alternate w/ thin baby food rice... this will get nutrition and water into the baby... everything shoud be wet so it slides down easy. Have raised a # of Robins and have a video of my husband teaching it how to hunt crickets. Last year's Robin came back this Spring and calls to me from the trees. Good luck.

10. TheBeatlesAddict

May 27, 2010
    elkhart, indiana
    What fruits and should the hamburger be cooked or raw

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by