found baby bird.. help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fostersranch, Aug 11, 2013.

1. fostersranch

fostersranch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    buffalo gap, Texas
    Founs baby bird at park. Hes probably been out all day in this heat. He was being eaten up by ants. I got him to take a few drinks from a droppler and a few bites of grasshopper. Any tips on keepinf him alive and bursing back to health?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a picture? For most birds you should catch bugs to feed them but a substitute for food can be kitten or puppy food soaked in warm water for an hour, then mash it up and feed by hand.

3. fostersranch

Jun 29, 2013
    buffalo gap, Texas
    Yes I have a pic. I dont know what kind he is. Its been a few hours now since food and water. Breathing isnt as paced and he was able to roll over. How often so I feed? Weve got plenty of little bugs to feed him. Im going to catch moths tonight. Might me easier to eat.

4. fostersranch

Jun 29, 2013
    buffalo gap, Texas
    [​IMG]

5. fostersranch

Jun 29, 2013
    buffalo gap, Texas
    I made him a nest out of tupperware bowl and paper towels. Idk what else I need to give. Thanks for the help!

6. ashcons

ashcons Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Baby birds need very frequent feedings. Probably every hour or two for one that young. Sorry I can't help you ID it.

7. ashcons

ashcons Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    If you have grower feed, you can soak that in water and feed the paste on a qtip or toothpick.

8. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Has it improved at all since that photo?

It really looks very unwell and I'd prepare yourself that no matter what you do it probably won't survive. I think really its best chance of survival lies with you calling one of the local wildlife rescue centers and handing it over to a trained person. Its just too far gone looking I think for someone unskilled to save.

In the meantime keep it warm just like you would a baby chick. Feeding baby birds isn't for the light hearted and requires the correct mix prepared to the correct temperature for the correct amount of times per day. I'm unsure how old he is from that photo but he doesn't look fully feathered?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  9. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll also need an incubator or somewhere with heat to put over the bird or else it will get chilled. I would feed him every hour but stop feeding at night, then I would start feeding again in the early morning. You should also never ever feed just water to a baby bird, it can get into the lungs, suffocate, and die. Your baby bird looks like a house sparrow and it doesn't seem to be doing well, you should be prepared for when it doesn't survive.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  10. fostersranch

Jun 29, 2013
    buffalo gap, Texas
    I dont have any grower feed. What else could I use? I suppose im taking him to the office tomorrow. Lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by