found baby birds......pics added!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by patnjess, May 31, 2010.

1. patnjess

patnjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    So someone called me, they found a nest this morning after the storm that blew through last night. Their were 3 one died because her cat found it first.

they are very young, I would say a couple days, as I could still see the yolk sac through their see threw skin.

I'm trying to get a pic up from my phone but its not working, and I can't find my normal camera....

I have only raised one baby bird, a wren, they seem a bit bigger...

I didn't really remember what to feed them, so in a pinch I made up a slurry of gamebird started and boiled yolk, and put it with a small syringe down their baby throat. They are pooping and already know when I'm coming, and they are so see threw that I can see when their tummies are full.

Any advice, better food recommendations? How warm should they be? Should I put them under a light? they are pretty warm 80+
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. patnjess

Apr 2, 2010
    oh I forgot to add the one small bird seems to have an injured leg, maybe broken, I cleaned it and put plain neosporin on it, what else, I have some antibiotics but I have no clue how much to give something that small.

3. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    You MUST get those birds identified. Ideally at least take them to a wildlife rehabber and either let the experts raise them or have them explain what the appropriate diet is. Giving them the wrong diet can kill them. You'll also need to be able to do stages of release, so you'll need a flight cage in which they can teach themselves to fly and forage on their own.

For now they need to be eating every 30 minutes during daylight hours. I just had a baby jay that I picked up for a local rehabber, and it was eating soaked science diet kitten food and ground mealworms. Then as it was eating on its own theyll offer it a natural diet.

4. patnjess

Apr 2, 2010
    well from what I researched the diet is pretty basic. I just didn't know if gamebird with egg yolk would be equivilent to kitten food. I will go onto bugs and berries, once it gets better. They are pretty small as you can see so I am thinking maybe wren? The people that had him though mockingbird, but we don't have a lot of those in Florida, and I think the babies would be bigger.

Quote:

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Wow! They are very young. I am sorry I have never had that happen before so I can't offer any advice really. I think you are doing a great thing. They are lucky to have made it to your house. Good luck and keep us posted. [​IMG]

6. patnjess

Apr 2, 2010
    the baby with the open fracture died. I didn't expect it to live, but still sad [​IMG]

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG] Oh I am so sorry. You did all you could.

8. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    What I have heard you should do is put a bunch of meal worms and bugs in a blender until their a smoothie and feed that to the babies with a syringe.

9. BetsyOK

BetsyOK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Near Tulsa
    You really should contact a wildlife rehabber. It is actually against the law to keep them yourself, but often a rehabber will tell you exactly what to do and allow you to do it. It is important to feed them the right thing. Kaytee makes a powdered formula that is good to use with all small birds. You can get it at PetSmart or equivalent, and that should work until you can get with a rehabber.

10. bosoxbratt

bosoxbratt Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Hi there
    they look like they are baby starlings , hopefully they will make it just remember they need to be fed veryyyyy often :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by