1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found baby bunnies! -pics-

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Corey NC, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Well my dad found them. I know he had good intentions but I think they probably would have been fine if he had let them be. My little sisters say that he found them scattered in the field when he was weed wacking and that he saw no mother in sight. I guess my dad didn't know that a momma rabbit only checks on her babies at night.

I haven't gotten a chance to speak with everyone about it but I am going to be working on getting them to a rehabilatation center even though my little sisters are set on keeping them as pets. [​IMG]

They are in a laundry basket with a towl and heating pad now. If anyone has any advice or and idea on the age/breed just let me know. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    First, don't try to keep them as pets. They're wild animals, and they will always be wild, if you can raise them, which is very hard to do with wild rabbits. Are their eyes open? Are they active? How big are they? If they are active, and eyes are open, it would be best to take them back where you found them and turn them loose in a safe place with plenty of cover. Good luck.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I had a sad experience trying to "help" what I thought was a lost baby bunny found in our driveway. I caught it & kept it in a little cage overnight. I phoned the local wildlife rehab in the AM who said that if it were old enough to be out of its nest it was probably old enough to take care of itself. And that the stress of bringing it in to the center could harm it more than leaving it out in the yard.

They were right. The baby bunny died, probably from the stress of captivity, in the cage.

Tell your little sisters that these wildlings probably wouldn't make good pets. That your well-intentioned care & attention could actually harm, stress, and kill them.

If it's not too late, I'd return them to the field where you found them tonight. Or as soon as possible. They have a Mama bunny looking for them. Don't touch or talk to them too much, it could scare them to death.

I wish you & the bunnies well.

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I had a little wild bunny that I found in the road. It had a broken leg and unfortunatley died a few days after.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I second that.........especially if they were fairly close together. You should at least shine a flashlight in the area at night to see if mother is looking for them. We have some that have babies in the yard every year and i see them all running around at night if i pull in the yard after dark. Good luck whatever you do. I'll bet you educated your dad very well [​IMG] as it sound like you know what your talking about [​IMG]

6. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I spoke with a wildlife rehab and he said to put them back where they were found. so I did and well just see if they make through the night. Cross your fingers but whatever happens I am sure it is how nature intends it to be.

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    OH MY GAWD! THOSE ARE KANGAROOS!

[​IMG] tee hee!

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yes - back where they were found.

I turned up a nest of babies a couple of months ago... I tucked them back in the nest (2) and covered it back with the fur, and sticks and such - and kept a close eye on it - mom came back, no problem and the babies were fine.

I just "bumped" into another nest, but much bigger babies, SO cute, like a little kitten.... it was out the nest, looking around, I showed my kids and left it alone...... (now I'm kinda making sure the sprinkler doesn't hit that spot. [​IMG]

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I'll bet she found them. Did you go peeking around this am???
    The ones in my yard are running around like lightning as little babies and they cant be much bigger than those. I hope you are able to find out how it worked out.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:Rabbits have big litters on a frequent schedule for a good reason. They are so very vulnerable and therefore make a lot more to replenish their population. There's a lot we can do to help them survive, such as leave them undisturbed habitat and keeping pet dogs & cats away from their nests. But we don't do them much of a favor to remove them from their home places and keep them in confinement.

As I learned the hard way. You're nature's friend, Corey, keep up the good deeds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by