Found baby chick Hurt, don’t know what happened.

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
2D211837-EE0B-42E7-93B5-2A33C121A4B5.jpeg
1E5B10DD-5F09-4CC5-8B49-CAF9F88BE667.jpeg
Hi everyone. Thank you for your help ahead of time. I know it might not survive but I still need to try.

This morning I find that a baby chick hatched during the night. He seemed healthy and with no problems. There was another egg to hatch so I left mom and baby alone. This evening upon my return I find it laying on its side on the side of the nest, cold, with a big gash on the head and barely peeping. I immediately brought him in and placed him over some wash clothes and over a heating pad. From a listless baby chick that was dying. Here he is now. Once we were sure it revived we applied antibiotic ointment and placed him in that container with a clean swifter duster to imitate mom.

I don’t know what happened. I did find a RIR egg under the mother. Could the other hen be guilty? Pecking order? Or could it have been a rat? Lately I’ve seen one in the area.

Anyway, the little guy seems to be peer-king up. How should I proceed to take care of him? Raise him myself? And if the other chick is born tomorrow removing them both from the area. Not going to let another problem to happen

Last edited:
In the situation that you are in, I would remove the other chick too (if it's still alive when you find it). You will have to gently clean the head wound of the bloody chick. Dry it off and apply a bit of antibiotic salve (not any that might contain the "cain's" in it) to the wound. Keep him warm in the house with a heat lamp.

Edit: Next time that you decide to let a broody hatch egg's separate her, so this kind of thing doesn't happen again!

:loveCute chick! Looks like he will heal with some time and care. I make cages for my hens with chicks,a lot cheaper than buying cages. Farm supply should have all the materials. I make them 4x2x2 or around that,using 1x2 wire.I double wire about 6 inches at the bottom so tiny chicks can't get out.

I am new at this! Learning as I go. The first brooder had 5 chicks and she kept all the other hens off her nest. I did change them to a larger cage, 8 x 10 to make sure babies survive. They have. This hen I guess is not as defensive of her babies. I’ve found eggs under her that are not marked. So I know they belong to other hens. Anyway. This little guy will have a better chance if he has a friend to grow up with. And the brooder she is getting some cold baths and placed in isolation until she stops brooding. Besides I need her eggs! Also, every time I handle her I can feel she has lost a lot of weight.

Back
Top Bottom