Found baby chick laying on her back and seemed to be in pain

Macamania

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 13, 2014
Eva, Alabama
I have 3 barred rocks and 3 Rhode Island reds. I got these when the barred rocks were a week old and the Rhodes were a month old. I got them about a month ago.

When I got home from work yesterday I noticed one of the barred rocks was laying on her back. I picked her up and she seemed stiff in the legs. It appeared that her neck was weak like it was broke. I couldn't find any marks on her, so I separated her from the others and hoped she might have just been feeling bad. When I checked this morning, she was dead.

There was not much difference in the size of the rocks and Rhodes until recently. Now the Rhodes are much bigger. I think, somehow, one of the Rhodes broke her neck. I have a perch in the brooder for them, but it's only two inches high. I see no way this could have hurt her. An attack by her own could be the only animal that could have got to her.

Like I said, my diagnosis is its neck was broken and it had some paralysis. Does the idea of another chick breaking her neck sound extreme? And as I have been researching, I think they may be bored and I need to further research the activities I can provide them.

What's your thoughts?

That sounds like it could fit. I got them from an individual, so I highly doubt they have been vaccinated. Lord help! I'm Going to need to go to vet school to be able to raise these birds. I've always been pretty good with animals.

In totally not an expert but from what I have seen in chicks yes it can come on and they pass quick after symptoms start. :( I'm hoping our resident experts will jump on with some more knowledge :) sorry

Check out this thread in emergencies

Not an Emergency...Marek's in the Flock

Kathy and eggsesive are very helpful and knowledgeable . But I read through and some similar to yours with advice :)

Back
Top Bottom