**FOUND-Baby flying squirrels (info?)**

buck-wild-chick

Songster
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Hamilton C. FL
While I was feeding the horses this morning I noticed the chickens chasing something...Well they had found two flying squirrels!.I brought them inside because there is no hope in finding the mom and I will not, let them be eaten.

I have them inside in a box with a heating pad...

I tried looking online about feeding them and I cannot find any information.

Can someone please help? I really need to know what to feed them, ASAP
Thanks,T

Last edited:
Are you sure they're sugar gliders and not flying squirrels?

Until I can dig out some info, keep them warm and quiet- perhaps a dab of sugar water. I seem to think milk is a bad thing-

Hang on, I just asked for help.

Last edited:
Dangit. yes they are flying squirrels (sorry) dumb blonde here
roll.png

Puppy replacement formula NOT KITTEN!! PUPPY SPECIFICALLY. Kitten formula will kill them...don't remember why... I raised a baby gray squirrel this way. At 6-8 weeks they can be weaned onto Cheerios then more solid foods. Keep them warm at ALL times. Hot water bottles with a cloth helps if ur not comfortable with heat pads over night. Feed them 5-6 oz. in a syringe to start out, three times a day, preferrably every 8 hours. If you have any more questions you can PM me. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
First thing in the morning, then around the early afternoon, then right before bed if you plan on getting any sleep
big_smile.png
Any idea on age? Post a pic and I can estimate by the tails.

One thing - If you ween these squirrels you are almost guaranteed that they will not be able to survive in the wild. I've done it before and found the squirrels later, dead due to the fact they didn;t know what to eat. Even though I gave them all sorts of nuts with shells in their little house, they never figured out what to eat in the wild.

I raised a chipmunk on lactose-free cat milk that was right in the pet section of my grocery store. It was recomended to me by a wildlife rehaber. I fed it every 4 hours day and night (it was very small, eyes closed and not walking much) and after it got bigger every 8. It learned to drink by itself very quickly after its eyes were open. After it grew teeth I began offering fruit, nuts, seed ect. along with the milk. Good luck!

Quote:
If you intitially forage for them by getting local foodstuffs from close by, that is not such an issue. We still get visits from our little "Twitter" and he tosses shells from hickory nuts at us to get our attention. We first introduced hickory nuts and White Oak acorns even before he could get into them, that way he can recognize local wild foods. That is VERY important! Thanks for reminding me!!

How big are they? They probably are large enough to eat on their own if they were running from the chickens. I would give ours a large parrot seed mix, meal worms, nuts, and several other things. I had one that stayed in my shirt and ate little bits of what I ate, cheetos, butter pecan ice cream, almost anything. Give them a small enough container of water to drink from so they don't drown.

Good look. I miss my squirrels.

Back
Top Bottom