Found baby kitten

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Larson Chicks, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Larson Chicks

Larson Chicks Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    East Idaho
    Last night my family and I found a mama cat that had been hit, in the middle of the road. As we drove up we saw a very VERY small kitten next to her. It ran off when we parked but we were able to find it. We brought it home but I am now worrying. I had some kitten milk(left over from our baby rabbits we had to help feed) and he is drinking it from a bowl. He has his teeth and was able to run away from us so he's steady on his feet, Im assuming he's 4-5 weeks old.

My concern is, his stomach is pretty big. It gets bigger when I feed him and has gone down before the next feeding, but is still big. My husband moved the mommy cat off the road and he's pretty sure she was dead for atleast the day (we found them at 9pm). I would like to try and help it myself before taking it the vet. Someone mentioned if he hadnt eaten in a day, it could be distended from hunger. Ive wiped its butt with a warm cloth but nothing has come out. Ive only had him for 18hrs and hes still pretty scared, pretty sure his Mama was a wild cat. If it is from hunger, if thats a possibility, how long till his stomach will go down? Am I correct in thinking he's 4-5 weeks old? Ive feed him twice today, its 3pm, and will feed him again tonight. Im just doing kitten milk for now until Im sure of his age and his bowel movements happen. Does that sound right?

Thank you for the help!!

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Perhaps posting in the Emergencies, Disease, Injuries & Cures forum may be faster replies.....I'm thinking the distended tummy maybe gas or injury, I doubt from hunger. The kitty could have still nursed from momma, I think. Sounds young yet got teeth, maybe it ate something that's spoiled? Keep doing what you're doing, the warm cloth to help him relieve himself is good, has he peed? Try posting in the E/D/I &C forum, see if that gets replies. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  3. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    His eyes are open, so you can feed him canned cat food. Use ggod name brand, something labeled for kittens and don't do any fish/shrimp as it is too hard on a kitten's system. Go easy at first, just a couple pea sized dabs every four to six hours. Keep up the wiping under tail, genitals with warm wash rag every couple of hours, too. Dehydration is a risk and you can offer water, too. Don't give any cow milk, but if you have real goat milk, that is ok. I have raised kittens from just a few days old successfully on goat milk.

Getting chilled is a risk, so a set up with something to keep him warm is good. Make sure it can get away from heat source though, as you don't want to overheat. I used several gallon jugs of hot water wrapped in a towel on one end of box so kitten(s) could go cuddle up or go to cooler end of box as they wished. The mamma heat pad brooder would work as would a ceramic heat fixture (PetSmart in the section for reptiles.)

A stuffed animal to cuddle with might also be a comfort. Years ago I has similar experience with a dead momma cat on road at farm we rented. A couple days later I heard a kitten crying in barn loft and climbed up to find it, eyes not even open. Did not have any pockets and had to use my teeth to carry him down, like a momma cat, as I climbed back down. He grew up to be the most amazing cat I have ever known. We lost him after he got bitten by another cat and got menengitis. He was named Carl, after Carl Sagan, and was black as coal, smarter than most people, just an amazing friend. Dh and I thought the world of that cat.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If he is 4-5 weeks old, he was probably already starting to wean from mom. I would try offering some wet food and see if he will eat it. Cats tend to like wet food when all else fails.

I can't diagnose over the Internet, but I will say that we generally assume puppies and kittens have worms unless proven otherwise. It's always a good idea to get a checkup with your vet, but I'm willing to guess your kitty will need a course of dewormers before the swollen belly goes away. Most puppies and kittens have both roundworms and hookworms, both of which they can get from mom.

1 person likes this.
  5. Larson Chicks

May 17, 2015
    East Idaho
    Update: Garfield, ended up pooping today and there were no worms in it. Im going to buy him some kitten wet food tomorrow and slowly switch him. I can give him water? I think I'll do that after I feed him. Thanks.

6. Larson Chicks

May 17, 2015
    East Idaho
    Would these worms show up in his poop? He pooped and it didn't have any.

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Some types of worms will show up in the poop but many, perhaps most, won't.

8. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Just to be safe I would deworming him. Since he is a wild kitten I would be very careful with him. They can have many thing that you can be effected by. If your thinking about keeping him take him to the vets. You can Start to feed him soft food then hard food. Can we see a pic a this of this cute little kitten?

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The worms themselves often won't show up in the poop, but the eggs will. That's what most veterinarians will look for when they run a fecal float.

10. Larson Chicks

May 17, 2015
    East Idaho
    Here's an updated pic. He is doing great. Thanks for all the help.
    [/quote][​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by