Found baby snake - Mom wants to kill - what species??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Goat_Walker, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    So I found this little cutie when i was out weeding - What species? if it isnt venomous then its safe to be released , but my neighbors all have small children and we would not feel comfortable releasing a dangerous critter - DO NOT POST NEGATIVE ABOUT THIS. I know that snakes have their purposes but this one was by my mom's bedroom door.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I dont know what kind it is.. but it looks safe to me.
    it dosent have a triangle head...

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I don't know. I found a similar size snake in our pool. I fished it out and released it. The second time, I fished it out and dropped it next to one of my hens. She slurped it up like a noodle.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Non venomous.

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I don't know what it is either, but you could take it to some woods away from your house to keep your mom happy.

6. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    looks like a common rat snake. take away from the house and turn it loose. if it comes back or you find more (scary) take it at least 5 miles away.

7. city kid farm

city kid farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I agree. Rat snake and not dangerous. Good luck finding a better environment for the little guy!

8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    You've stumped me on this one, I have no idea. What a pretty guy, and looks to be non-venomous as well. I have an email in to my boss at the zoo, when she replies, I'll let you know what the consensus is.

9. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Im used to finding 6 - 7 ft rat snakes. This guy was so light that i just have no idea what he is.

10. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Rat snake. We have lots of those around here. My husband's brother has always said they keep away the other bad snakes, and in truth, the only other kind we've seen here are harmless garters, besides the rat snakes. Take him away from your house and fill up any holes they might be snuggling into around the house. He might have friends, since he's so young. Woods are great, as long as your nearest neighbor doesn't live in them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by