found baby starling . wat to feed it ?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by poultrykeeper08, May 30, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i found a baby starling in my loft / it had a nest in the insulation but kept falling out so i kept putting it back in and then it kept falling out and now mom has not come back . I have been out theer all day and havent seen one .

What do i feed it

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Starlings are horrible, non-native, destructive birds....I wouldn't keep it alive.

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Do all the native songbirds in your area a favor, kill it. They kill other birds, other birds' babies, and kick eggs and babies out of nesting sites they want. They're horrible.

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Hate to say it but I agree, you may want to try and to it humanely though, do you have access to engine starter fluid (the type for cars) if you do spray some on a rag and put it and the bird in an small container and put an air tight lid on it. Sorry [​IMG] I know it's a baby and thats not what you want to hear. :aww

5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i cant kill it . And wont . Ill let it live in my barn or in a cage but i wont kill it .

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I would say do what you want. If you want the bird to live let it live. Starlings are beautiful birds when they grow up and have a nice plumage. If you found high up it may also be a sparrow or barn swallow. For food I would feed it worms or bugs and give it grit. The birds need grit to digest it. Can we see some pics just to identify it.

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:How dare you! Even though you are right, we should give it a chance to live. Then, you can kill it when its older....

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Starlings are flying insect catchers, bug eaters. You can feed it ground dry cat or dog food-- good quality-- mixed with very warm water, by eyedropper. Small amounts, say, 1/3 to 1/2 a dropper to start, fed very frequently, starting daily at about 5:3o am. Be warned; it is VERY HARD WORK rearing ANY nestling. That's why it's best to let the parent birds do it, if at all, in any way possible. Ideally, find a product called "BAG 'O BUGS" to vaguely simulate his natural diet as soon as possible, to mix with the pet food and eventually add to & replace these with mealworms, fresh killed crickets, earthworms, flies, and other bugs you can get your hands on.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  9. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    d.k :

* Starlings are flying insect catchers, bug eaters. You can feed it ground dry cat or dog food-- good quality-- mixed with very warm water, by eyedropper. Small amounts, say, 1/3 to 1/2 a dropper to start, fed very frequently, starting daily at about 5:3o am.

If they are bug eaters, why would you feed them corn? Wouldn't canned pet food be better?

I don't know if I have ever seen starlings here, but can honestly say that I hate grackles which I think are the northern equivalent. That being said, I actually have heard that starlings make great pets and are terrific mimics. Check out StarlingCentral.net, they may have some info for you. http://www.starlingcentral.net/starlingmedia.htm Info on feeding and care can be found here: http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm

Good
    luck with the little one, though in all honesty I would have probably called the cat...​

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Betchya would if you ever found your bluebirds dead, their babies or eggs thrown out pecked to death and/or broken by an English house sparrow or European starling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by