Found blood in coop this morning.

Redneck81

Hatching
Jul 29, 2016
This morning I found blood in my coop. it looked still fresher. I couldn't tell if it was poop. it seemed like it may have been but then the pattern looked sporadic. I inspected all 6of my hens in that coop and found no blood sots, no indication of mite, and their vents. Everything looked normal. The only thing I seen on my one black hen's comb was a small scab. I don't know if that could have caused it all. Should I start Corid or wait another day and see if it happens again. the hens are 22 weeks old and started laying. I have New hampshire reds, white leghorn (religious layers), Astroloup,, ans a black giant. Any help or much advice appreciated!

Welcome to BYC. Pecking combs or wattles may indded cause blood spots in the coop, especially seen on roosts. Picking a blood feather from a leg may also cause this. I would locate a farm store where you could buy Corid powder or liquid, just in case you need to get some. It is usually between $17-24, so just call to see if they have it, and wait. Look at your chickens for anyone underweight or acting sleepy, hanging around hunched by herself. If you see actual droppings with frank blood, then get the Corid and start it. It won't harm them. While having chickens, you may occasionally see blood spatters from some sparring, and with a pecked comb, they frequently will leave blood traces on the waterer or feeder when their head bends forward. The scab you found may be the origin, but many times we never find out. Good luck. Here is a good link about coccidiosis:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Thank you so much for your help. I will pick up the Corid tomorrow just in case, and keep a watchful eye on bloody stools. Thank you for the link, very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom