Found blood in coop this mornning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chemew, Dec 13, 2011.

1. chemew

chemew Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    This morning I found blood in the coop. This was a spot about the size of a medium pancake. There wasn't a pool but there was more than I cared to see. I checked the chickens to see if maybe the pecking had started up again but I didn't see any blood on their backsides. This was the only place in the coop where there was blood. There wasn't any tracked anywhere else and none on or below the roosts. It seems to be on top of some poo but all of the poo isn't covered / coated in red.

None of the chickens seem to be sick or injured. They have plenty of food, oyster shell, and water - plus the occasional scratch.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Maybe a mouse that was caught and injured? Is there something I can watch out for or is this normal and happens from time to time?

Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Did you check feet? Incase one cut its foot? Cocci is another maybe?? Good luck!

3. h.woods54

h.woods54 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2011
    Cape Cod
    Maybe it is coming from their poo. I'd watch the chickens behavior closely to see if any are acting out of the ordinary. If you do, separate it from the rest of the flock. I'm thinking the chicken could of been egg bound and the egg collapsed in the chicken and the egg shell ruptured her inside causing a lot of bleeding. If they seem ok and you've checked them thoroughly, I'd assume they pecked at something that made it bleed.

4. chemew

Aug 10, 2011
    i didn't see any blood on their feet but i'll check again when the sun gets higher. If it were the feet, i'd think there would be more trails of blood around but this is the only spot in the entire coop....

5. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Are they moulting? It could be from a blood feather that was picked out.

6. chemew

Aug 10, 2011
    it must have been a from pecking and the pecked hen sat in the same place...haven't seen a re-occurrence since that morning so I guess that's a good sign. thanks again to everyone for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by