Found bloody poop in the Chick's Coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OneCrazyCowgirl, Dec 21, 2012.

1. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are 7 weeks old. Let em in the coop about 1 week ago. They haven't gone in the run yet. Keeping them in the coop. Yesterday I found watery poop with blood in it. I also found some others with blood in it. They are eating and acting normal. What could this be?
    Thanks! Need answers asap. Please provide a cure along with the answer.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2! I would start treatment without delay, it moves fast and it's deadly. Easy to loose a whole batch of chicks really quick. I use Corid also since it treats more strains of cocci and is much easier on the birds then Sulmet. It comes in a liquid or a powder. I use the powder just because it's easy to find near me. You can find it in the cattle section of most feed stores, labeled for calves. Dose for the 20% powder is 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. Make it up fresh every day. If any chicks are showing signs of lethargy dose them directly with a dropper every couple hours to make sure they start getting the medication.

Edited to add: Sorry, I see I've pretty much managed to repeat what's already been said, that's what I get for not clicking "preview"!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. OneCrazyCowgirl

It's alright! Thanks for the help! So corid can be found at any feed stores? It's ok to give them cattle corid? It it all the same?

6. Dahlisgrams

Dahlisgrams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    The Big Apple
    I believe so. Good luck!

7. OneCrazyCowgirl

Great, reading some of the articles yall provided, it seems this may be the case. They have had lots of watery poop. Not many solids and make loud noises and seem restless often. Sadly, feed stores around here are closed.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

yes - Corid for cattle

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, most feed/farm supply stores will carry it. And yes, labeled for calves. The liquid might be labeled for chickens, don't know as I've never bought that. Either way it's all the same medication, you just dose it down for the birds.

10. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    If I'm not mistaken, there is just livestock and cattle corid. So yes that's fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by