Found broken egg under broody hen/cleaning remaining eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Maemujwok, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Maemujwok

Maemujwok Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    This is my first time letting a broody hatch eggs. We have her set up in her own nest, but it turns out the other girls are getting jealous. We've had two broken eggs this week. :( I am going to create an isolated area for her, just needed to wait until Saturday (tomorrow) to do it.

The first egg that broke just had a crack and didn't make a mess. This morning though the egg that broke made a mess and there was yolk all over the remaining eggs! I just wiped them clean with a dry rag but there is still sticky yolk left behind. Should I wipe them with a wet rag or leave them? I don't want to make the chicks sick by wiping off bloom, but don't know if the yolk on the shell is going to cause bacteria growth.

Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't have a good answer but I would worry about oxygen not transpiring through the blocked pores.
    I'm sure I'll get beat up for this but I've looked at some research and it may be a good idea to actually clean them with a bleach/water mix. Very weak, like a tablespoon in a gallon type ratio.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

4. rocknchickenfam

rocknchickenfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Ohio
    I too had this happen this year... the eggs were a mess...it was my first time hatching with a broody...I panickly researched and decided to clean the eggs with Dawn dish soap and water. I had a bucket of soap water and used paper towel that was rung out well then dry paper towel to pat dry. I also tried not to scrub. As soon as they were as clean as I could get them without too much scrubbing...I stuck them immediately back under the broody. Hope this is helpful. Oh... the eggs did fine and hatched!

5. rocknchickenfam

rocknchickenfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Forgot to say I also changed the nesting material

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Also, if you clean them, make sure to use water about 20 degrees warmer than the egg so any debris will be forced out of the pores rather than into the pores.

7. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    How would the temp in a duck egg be? Any different than a chicken egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by