Found chicken dead in coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NicholsFlock09, Oct 7, 2016.

1. NicholsFlock09

NicholsFlock09 New Egg

Oct 7, 2016
    I found my brown sussex rooster in the coop dead, due to a broken neck. Have coop well protected with covering for flying predators as well. No damage to the body of the bird. Can't figure it out. I have 2 other roosters and 6 hens left. Don't want to loose anymore of my flock. Does anybody have any ideas? I would greatly appreciate a little input if possible. Thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings NicholsFlock, and :welcome! Happy you joined BYC but sorry it's under these circumstances. (Pop on over to the New Member Introductions forum for a proper BYC welcome (https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions)
    With no other visible injuries....like fighting with one of the other roosters, I wonder if it could be attributed to an accident...like he fell off the roost and landed on his neck, or flew into the coop wall? Sounds kind of far fetched but with no other signs of injury....:confused:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by