Found chicken hanging upside down by toe!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TammyTX, May 6, 2009.

1. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    One of my Wellies got her toe stuck in the fencing under the roost and she was hanging upside down by her toe which was broken about a third of the way up from her toenail. It's her middle toe. I believe she was like that for a while, I have her some water immediately and I've put her in the cat carrier inside the house where it is cooler. Should I do anything for the toe? It is straight but broken and I'm sure painful!

I've mixed up some electrolyte water, using a recipe in the Chicken Health Handbook.

I think she did eat today because her crop is full....

Anything else??

ETA: Thanks everyone for their help. I didn't want to bump this to the front because so many other people need help too.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. Mrs. Glassman

Mrs. Glassman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Cedartown, Georgia
    I can't really offer any help, but I'm sorry and I hope she is doing ok.

3. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    she should be okay you cold do a piece of tape or two around the toe for support
    but likely she will be okay
    if you think she is in pain give 1/2 baby asprin now and at bedtime

PS fix the fence so the hens don't get caught on it

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    How scary! It sounds like you're taking good care of her. I found my great dane like that before... she jumped over a fence but her toes somehow got stuck and she was hanging from it when I found her. It about gave me a heart attack!

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Straighten the toe quickly and wrap it in moleskin. It'll heal pretty quickly. She may be kind of lightheaded and out of it for the rest of the day and maybe even tomorrow, that's expected, but she should be just fine.

6. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Thank you all so much!

....had to look up moleskin, but I think the sticky part of a fabric bandaid might work?

Yes, we'll fix the fence.

I have to tell y'all, my Wellie girls are going to be called Calamity Jane from now on! This is the second weird incident.

Thanks again.

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Poor girl!
    Is it broke all the way through, or just fractured, but still in one piece? One of our babies broke his toe, but it was broke all the way through. We covered it with neosporin and a bandaid and after a few days started giving him an antibiotic because he'd rip the bandaid off and it looked like was starting to get infected. If it fractured, but still in one piece, I'd clean it well with betadine (or similar), cover it with neosporin and cover it with a bandaid/moleskin/etc.

8. TammyTX

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    It did not break the skin but it was completed folded over backward. The toe is a bit flat and there is a lump. She did walk on it but kept reaching down and pecking at it so I know it hurts.

I don't have any baby aspirin but I can give her a small portion of a whole aspirin mixed in some water.

She's very quiet in her cat carrier and everytime I look at her she makes little wimpering noises! [​IMG]

9. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    because of the asprin usage I would give her the
    wet mash probiotic
    3 tbsp of dry crumbles
    6 tbsp of milk sweet,dour,buttermilk
    1 tbsp of yoguart
    see that she eats it all in 20-30 minutes
    if not put rest in frig and give her before bedtime

feed her this till she is better
    it gives the gut flora to fight infection more zip

10. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Moleskin is better only because it will last longer. A bandaid will rub off fairly quickly with all the waddlin' and scratchin' that a chicken does, but moleskin should last a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by