Found cracked egg under roost??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknbuns, May 9, 2011.

1. chicknbuns

chicknbuns Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I just recently moved my girls to a much larger new coop and the seem to be finally getting adjusted to it. I aslo have 2 rabbits and a seperate hutch for them in the same run. My girls sometimes lay their eggs in the rabbit hutch but I am trying to get them to use their new nest box. I found one egg in the nest box yesterday [​IMG]. This morning when i went to clean the coop their was a broken egg right underneath the roost??? I think one of them laid an egg while sitting up there? Anyone else have this happen? Did it continue? Thanks for your help!

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

It happens. No big deal. I used to have some when they were younger. I haven't had it happen in a while.

3. chicknbuns

chicknbuns Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Thank you PatMan! [​IMG]

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My littlest hen (8mos) does this every now & then - it's like she can't quite make it to the nestbox [​IMG]

She's a very early morning layer - usually before 7A.
    Today I caught her "in the act" when I opened the coop to feed at 6A [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It happens rarely.

6. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    One of my young pullets (6 mos. old) laid an egg under the roost. We found it the next day by mistake. No shell at all, just membrane. It was really cool feeling, like a water balloon. It went int the compost pile. Suprising it did not break from the height of the roost, approx. 2 feet. Never happened again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by