1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found cracked egg w/ embryo still developing...can it be saved???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Jul 4, 2011.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    A couple of my hens are broody and I've been candling the eggs (there are about 10 total eggs under both of them), and I noticed that one was cracked...And not just a small crack, either. The membrane in broken and I can see the embryo with its tiny beating heart inside, and it's really sad because I don't think I can save it. [​IMG] But just in case, I'm posting here to see if anyone can think of a way to save it??? The crack is about the size of the tip of my pinky finger, and it's big enough that I can see a small part of the yolk/embryo with it's little heart beating away. [​IMG] Is there any way I could save it? I know there probably isn't, since the membrane is open and that means bacteria will get in if it hasn't already...if just the shell had cracked, I would've had a better chance of saving it, but the membrane is cracked too so I don't think it can be saved. [​IMG] But if anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks! [​IMG]

(I'll also post some pictures in a little while...)

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I've never done it my self but I remember reading on here some thing about felling/sealing cracks in eggs with wax. I'll see if I can find a post...

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Yeah I've heard of that too, but the problem is that I think it was only for cracked shells, not when the membrane is cracked too like in my situation.

Thanks!

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Thank you!
    Unfortunately, the situations on these threads don't seem to be as bad as mine. [​IMG] I would try candle wax, but the crack is just too big and the wax would just fall into the egg. [​IMG]

Also, I wanted to post pictures but my uploads is full because I'm suddenly no longer a GFM and it's going to take a while to (individually [​IMG]) delete each photo before I can upload any more...It would be A LOT easier if there was "delete multiple" though. [​IMG]

Anyways, if you have any other ideas please feel free to share!

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    [​IMG] I honestly have no clue what to do...The membrane is drying out and the crack is just too big for candle wax, plus I don't currently have an incubator on hand...So I'm pretty sure there's no chance for this one. [​IMG] But if anyone happens to have an idea, feel free to post.

Thanks!

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Finally got the pictures to upload, although they're not very good. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    you can try a crayon over it but I bet its a gonner...or a piece of duck tape...

9. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Do you mean a melted crayon? ...and I don't think duck tape would hold in enough moisture. [​IMG] The membrane is already turning white so it's drying out already.
    So I guess it's a goner. [​IMG] Poor little embryo.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    you can put a piece of tape over the crack or liquid band aide. I had a cracked egg that hatched out fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by