Found CX nearby

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    After raising 35 Freedom Rangers last summer, and having to promise my husband that I'd never have so many at one time again, I've been trying to figure out how to raise enough chickens for the freezer without breaking my promise. I ordered 18 Red Rangers for delivery in early May. I keep reading posts from folks who were able to purchase chicks at their local Tractor Supply Store but there are no Tractor Supply Stores in my area. After a few tries at a Google search, I found one about an hour away and upon calling them, discovered that they had 10 CX chicks from last week's shipment. I asked them to hold them for me while I made the drive and they agreed to do so.

So, I arrived home with 10 CX chicks. I think I got a really good deal since they only charged me for 9, they are already a week old so through the worst of the pastie butt issues and already a week closer to the freezer. I'll have almost as many birds as I raised last summer (since I lost 4 to a predator and shared 8 with my mom). Yeah!

My only worry is that CX may not do as well at high altitude as my Freedom Rangers, but I'm hoping that by restricting their feed, they won't have any heart problems. Anything I should be on watch for?

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I never raised them at altitude but I did in the humidity of FL. I did 12 on 12 off feeding and fed flock raiser which is 20% protein. I'd think they'd be okay as they aren't going to be running any marathons anyway. LOL

Meant to add: I fed 12 on 12 off after the first 2 weeks. :) good luck.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I thought JAX carried broiler chicks in the spring during their chick days. Have you ever checked there?

You have been on my mind with the wildfire west of town, hoping that everything is good at your place.

Good luck with your new batch!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I'm not familiar with JAX, and a Google search offered no results. Can you give me more information? Last summer was dramatic with the Waldo Canyon fire. This summer is predicted to be just as bad, I have a second chain saw and a limb cutter on hold for the day we get back from vacation (in Vail skiing)and will put my sons to work helping me do some wildfire mitigation before they have to go back to school.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by