Found dead 1-year old buff, what gives?

nefarmgal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Out to the henhouse today and found one of my buff orphingtons lying dead on the floor. All my chickens are 1 year old, none have appeared sick. This one had no sign of predator damage, just lying stiff onthe floor. Anyone have any thoughts as to what may have caused it? Would I gain anything by cutting her open?

Sorry for your loss. I am thinking she may have been egg bound, that will kill them. I found my Blue Orpington the same way recently and I think that was her issue. She laid every day, and when she missed a day, the next day she was dead:-/

Are you anywhere near a state lab, vet school, or ag extention agent? They will usually do a necropsy for free or very reduced fee. One of my 7 month olds died suddenly and it turned out to be Avian Leukosis (a virus.) Definitely worth getting a diagnosis since you may have something that my affect your other birds. Good luck...

Ok, so I did cut her open today, and didn't find any blood in the abdomen or intestines. She had one fully formed egg and 5 smaller egg yolks without shells inside her. Is this normal? Now I'm thinking maybe she hit her head on a board on the way off the roost first thing in the morning and it killed her. Is that possible?

Back
Top Bottom