found dead bird in coop........now what?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by uncle rico, Feb 29, 2012.

1. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    a few days ago I went out to the coop to feed the birds and open up for the day. Found one of the hens slouched in a corner, mostly unresponsive. Couldn't stand up, and her eyes kept drooping shut. There was no evidence of a predator attack. I checked her vent, and it seemed OK. I saw no wounds or discolorations, etc. Basically nothing to indicate illness. She was one of the top hens in the peck order, and was well fed.

So I seperated her from the rest of the flock and set the hen up in a box with water & feed. A few hours later I check and it was dead [​IMG]. any idea what caused this? If other chickens start dropping dead I know I'll have a problem on my hands. So far all the others look perfectly healthy........they're all the same age, about 1.5 yrs old, and there's no peck order fighting or anything like that.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Guesses here...it could be something congenital. OR it could be she had some sort of parasite - probably internal like some sort of worms if you didn't notice anything externally. I'd keep a very close eye on the others. Oh... I just thought of something else.. is there possibly any moldy hay or feed around? Mold can contain botulism, as I understand, maybe it was something like that?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are basically 3 things that it could possibly be: Eggbound, lice/mites, worms, or any combination thereof.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    I did use some hay as bedding in the nesting boxes a few weeks ago.....noticed some of it smelled a little funny but I figured it was OK. Maybe it was that? I threw that stuff out a few days ago, just to be sure. it was in a few of the boxes but there wasn't alot of it.

I checked the vent and didn't see an egg stuck in there, so it def wasn't eggbinding that killed this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by