1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found Dead hen this am!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tschica, Oct 25, 2012.

1. tschica

tschica Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2012
    My Barred rock was found dead underneath the roost. Can anyone help? She was acting weird yesterday, she was super fluffy looking and being really slow. Usually she doesn't let me pet her, but yesterday she did.. Any ideas??? I'm devastated!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Depending on her age; it could be possibly cocci, lice/mites, eggbound, worms.

3. Did she roost? Sounds like she was eggbound, that would've killed her. Cut her open and see if you see an egg in there (if you want), but I'd say she was eggbound...

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I had one fall of the roost in the middle of the night... The necropsy showed kidney failure, but they didn't know the cause.

5. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I would look for mites then I would jsut worm anyone looking thin and not doing so well. I also would give an antibiotic shot to anyone looking fluffy and not acting as well. Sometimes a bug just goes around.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Forgot to say so sorry for your loss.

7. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    me too. Sorry for losing one. I always hate to lose one. We love them all! I like to think there is special place in heaven for our chickens.

8. tschica

Aug 14, 2012
    Yea... everyone else in the flock looks good... Everyone is pretty healthy looking. I have one chicken that has always been small... maybe I should worm her?? I didn't see any mites or anything on her... and yes, she did roost last night, but away from everyone else. It was really weird, especially because she was walking around so slow... but she left the coop, and appeared to be free ranging... but she wouldn't eat any of the veggies scraps I had put out for everyone else.. So sad :-(

9. tschica

Aug 14, 2012
    I forgot to add she's a new chicken... born this spring!.

10. Did she have 'odd' (bloody) poops? Did she poop at all? REALLY sounds like egg bound if she was laying...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by