Found dead hen this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamamary, Jun 16, 2010.

1. mamamary

mamamary Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    Mississippi
    When my husband went out to the chicen coop this am, he found in one of our nests a dead hen. She never appeared anything but healthy. My hens have just started laying. Anyone have any ideas as to what happend?

Sad mama

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I'm so sorry about your hen. [​IMG] [​IMG] Does she have any visible injuries? How old was she? What was she eating for food? You may want to add much more info if you want better answers so we can help you more. [​IMG]

This same thing happened to one of my family's Buff Orp hens, only she was over a year old. [​IMG] Sadly, it happens quite often and you may never know the cause because it could be anything on the inside...heart problems, etc.

Good luck with finding out what happened to you hen! [​IMG]

3. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Oh and you double-posted by the way. [​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'm sorry to say "it happens". Happened to me and countless other BYC members. A pullet or hen has so much going on in her body to produce eggs and carry them through to laying that lots of things can go wrong, and you never know why your hens may have died. Unless your other birds show outward signs of illness, the cause was probably internal "mechanical" malformations or problems.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by