Found deceased chicken with egg next to her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chal23, Jan 31, 2017.

1. chal23

chal23 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Hello all,

First time chicken mom here! My girls free range most days and since today was a sunny day, they were let out. My husband came home on his lunch and noticed our beggar chicken was not at the door.. under further investigation, he found her, dead behind our shed (the girls do like to play back there..) with an egg under her wing. There were no puncture or other wounds and only a few feathers around her. She was in the prone (chest down) position and had shown no signs of being egg bound, sick, etc. the weird thing was that her egg was under her right wing, like it was protected, etc.,.. She has only ever layed in her box.

My question is, like other animals, is hiding when sick a behavior that's indicative of illness?

Of course she was my favorite, certainly the one with the most attitude, and naturally we're concerned that perhaps there's an illness sweeping through.

Thank you.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    [​IMG]Sorry to hear of your loss. I just think that her passing was something that came naturally. Last summer I lost a chicken. In the morning she was fine. Around noon she was lethargic. In the eve, she was no more. No other chickens were affected. She was only 2 years old. Still have her twin sister.

3. TalkBahk2Me

TalkBahk2Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    FL south west
    Oh no!!! [​IMG][​IMG] I'm so sorry for your loss!! Sadly the best always seem to go so fast

Yes, Injured or ill birds do tend to outcast themselves and become more aloof than normal. They are miserable and just want to be solo, kind of like us when we get the flu. We just want to be in a dark quiet place.
    Laying out of her normal spot shows the disorientation imo.
    I would keep an eye out on the others just in case. Checking clarity of eyes and for mucus etc. any general change to flock mates. But this to me sounds like a sad freak accident. She could have had a heart issue or something that was weak. Sad about her passing as she protected her egg.

Hugs so sorry for your loss of your Lovely Greeter Hen

4. chal23

chal23 New Egg

May 1, 2016
    Thanks for your kind words - chalking it up to a freak accident as nothing was out of place. Thank you both so much..

5. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I too had a strange death in my hen family of one of my favorites. My Brahma went in for the night just fine, came out of the coop in the morning dying quickly. No explanation. I chalked it up to a freak accident. It bugs ya that you won't ever know why though, but thats life. Enjoy them while ya got them right!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by