Found dog advice please

turney31

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
palestine texas
About 2 weeks ago a german shephard showed up at our neighborhood. He has been getting his feed on at our house. Sneaking cat food. I caught him this morning. I have been putting him a pan of food out whenever I see him. He looks like he may be about 6 or 7 mos old. Beautiful dog. I think he is full blood. I would love to keep him.

The first day I saw him He had a small very tight collar on, dangerously tight. I removed it and replaced with a nice extra collar I had laying around. It barely fit on the last hole but I figured it was better than the other one. I wanted to leave a collar on him in case he does belong to someone. Now 2 weeks later, I put him on a run and had to take in the collar, 2 holes. So that to me indicates to me that he is losing weight fast. Felt ribs, pretty poor. With all the hair when you just look at him he looks decent. There were no tags on the first collar.

I put him on the run in our front yard so if anyone was looking for him they could see him. Igloo dog house. Food water etc. Flea treatment. I will continue to look for owners. Am I wrong for putting him on the run. My dog pen is behind the house in the woods and rarely used. Nobody could see him there. If he is a stray or dumped, then I want him. If he does belong to someone it would not hurt my feelings to let them know he has been eating us out of house and home.

I wanted to add, he would not be on a run once he acclimated to us and stays put. I have small house dogs and cats and just want to be safe. Our dogs are family. Even as hungry as he is he has left my chickens alone.

I need to buy a camera, learn how to put it on the computer
he.gif
So no pics, sorry.

Thanks,
Micah

Please post some FOUND signs in the stores and bulletin boards around your home. Some newspapers will let you advertise FOUND listings for free
smile.png

I think you are doing the right thing.

For what it's worth, his age is the age where a lot of dogs get dumped once they are no longer cute and in that naughty teenage dog stage where they have a ton of energy and are into everything. Just by your description of his circumstances with the too-tight collar and wandering the neighborhood for weeks, I'd guess someone had enough and dropped him off.
sad.png

Quote:
You are right and I will put him on craigslist, sign at the store. I have been watching CL for lost dogs. I am looking for owners. I do live in a very rural area. To reclaim him they will have to identify that 1st collar. I kept it.
big_smile.png

Quote:
You are right and I will put him on craigslist, sign at the store. I have been watching CL for lost dogs. I am looking for owners. I do live in a very rural area. To reclaim him they will have to identify that 1st collar. I kept it.
big_smile.png

Excellent idea.
big_smile.png

My suggestion for what it's worth....take him to your vet and have him checked out. You don't want to bring sickness to your other pets if he should have something. The vet could also check for the computer chip. If no one claims him and he checks out healthy with your vet, it looks like you have a new puppy!!! Good for you!

Back
Top Bottom