Found dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Duckchick2011, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Hi guys,

A young male pit bull just wondered into my yard and I need some advice. He has a broken leg that looks absolutely aweful...well not THAT bad but it is dangling at the joint and very swollen. He acts like he doesn't even know it is broken and is very wiggly and puppy like...until he sees other animals. I can't keep this guy. I have a cat who is a little too brave and goats that are a little too curious.

He is fine with me so far, sticks like glue to anyone that offers a kind hand. I have put a craiglist ad. and even posted on face book but it is late at night and on the weekend. I'm not sure taking him to the vet is an option though I don't doubt he needs some serious attention.

He's beautiful! I know for sure he doesn't belong to anyone in my neighboorhood. Any advice at all? I've never had an animal with a broken leg, let alone one I don't know. : /

Thanks in advance,
    ~ Duckchick

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    You can give him Aspirin for pain. Not Ibuprofen. Keep him as quiet as possible. Check with your local humane society if, they have a after hours/weekend emergency number you could call? He may be microchiped so, his owner can be found. Good Luck.

3. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thank you!

How much asprin do you think I should give him?

Nevermind, I looked it up. Thanks you!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Call local vets and your animal shelter. One of the two should be able to scan him for you for free to see if he has a chip and at least it is a start to see if he has an owner. Collar? Condition? Fixed? Does he look like a well kept dog that has been hit by a car or is he an overall mess. Take into account his weight, fur, teeth, etc.

You can take him to a vet for medical care but you will have to pay the bills. I don't know if the pound is different in your area but in mine you can not turn over an animal for free even if you found it, there is a $200 fee. You would need to leave him somewhere and then report it and to be honest pits get euthanized at the pound at a higher rate than any other breed so I am not sure how long one with medical problems would make it. I understand that he is also not really your problem. I have an extra pug at the moment because of a similar situation.

This is the site for Villalobos Pit Bull rescue.

http://www.vrcpitbull.net/dog/about/

They used to be out here by me in CA but are now near New Orleans. Ask them what you should do and perhaps if they can take him. Even if they can't they may have advice. If you have any interest in a dog, pit bulls are very loyal and can be really amazing. My pit is around several other dogs, a few cats, hens and chicks. She is very kind and gentle and learns well. This took work and training like any other dog. Maybe the rescue can take her or even trade you for a dog they have been working with already. I don't know.

Good luck.

Here's my pit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thank you! I'm pretty sure this guy was somebodies pet that just got loose and was hit on the highway in front of my house, though I wouldn't rule out that he was dumped either. He is wearing a big black collar and is VERY muscular although he is slightly underweight. He looks like he might be intact though he is still a little young to tell. His coat is clean and sleek but he has a tick on his side. I haven't looked at his teeth (not that brave).

Thanks for the link I will try to get in touch with Villalobos in the morning (I live an hour or two from them). I talked to my dad and he is open to taking him to get checked for a micro chip. I want to do for this dog what I would have wanted done for one of my dogs if they were lost(been there done that), but money is soo tight right now. I know he didn't have much choice in the matter but he really couldn't have come at a worse time. Poor guy.[​IMG]

6. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I would do a google search for pit rescues in your area - they may have a local vet working with their group and may be able to help on Sunday. Our humane society ask for a donation but, doesn't require it. If the dog is chipped - would indicate it probably belongs to responsible owners that will want it back.

7. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thanks, I found one called "Rescue me"and put up an ad on their site. Hopefully his owners are out there looking for him.

ChickensRDinos : Your dogs are georgeous! :3

8. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thank you :) Two are rescues and one was abandoned in my yard (in HORRIBLE shape). I am very fond of them.

9. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Haha, you wouldn't think it. You have done a wonderful job turning them around. They look like they haven't seen a rough day in their lives. :)

10. Duckchick2011

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Here are some pictures I took of him:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are debating about whether to take him to the local shelter if we can't find his owners soon. He is starting to feel that leg, *Gah* I hate this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by