Found Duck(?) Egg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by k-hadz, Feb 9, 2017.

1. k-hadz

k-hadz New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    Hey! My friend and I found what we think is a duck egg outside work, and I picked it up before I realized it was an egg. When I put it back it moved noticably, and after made some slight movements. Not knowing if it was abandoned or if there was a duck nearby we left if there overnight. The night was cool and rainy, around 50°C. Today we brought it inside and put a heater on it to warm it up, but it hasn't moved. How can I tell if it's still alive?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. k-hadz

k-hadz New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    Ok, thanks! Hopefully the little guy is still ok. I'll bring him home and check. We definitely have some ducks around work, I haven't seen any geese recently.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Let us know please. and Welcome to BYC!

5. birdmanmax

birdmanmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Central Michigan
    That's a pretty odd spot to find an egg I'm not sure that it is actually a duck egg. If the egg was alive the bird must had of been sitting on it for quite some time and wild ducks usually make a pretty noticeable nest with their down feathers. I've seen turkey vulture's nest much like that but that egg does not represent a turkey vulture's egg. Hope it hatches, I'm very curious to see what it is.

6. k-hadz

k-hadz New Egg

Feb 9, 2017
    Update: The egg was not alive. :( I tried the water test and it bobbed rather high, and then I looked with a flashlight and from what I can tell it looked like "Fetal Demise, Likely Rupture Of Internal Membranes." There was a large air bubble that moved around as I gently rotated the egg. Thanks for all the help.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Very sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by