1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found egg - but on porch in basket!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jgarzasr, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jgarzasr

jgarzasr Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2008
    Our chickens are about maybe 16-17 weeks old - we figured maybe they were about ready to start laying - but wasn't sure. They are free range. I have a nest box in the coop - but the only time they are in there is at night when they go in to roost. Anyway - we have a couple baskets on the porch and we just happened to look in one by accident and found a brown egg. I assumed it was from that day. What can we expect from here? are they going to lay anywhere now? Should I build an attached run and confine them now to their coop? Any info would be appreciated. thanks.

2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I found my first egg on in the shrubs in front of the house. My girls are free range too. The next egg I found in the coop in the nest box. Every time after that they have all laid in the boxes. Except one who must have laid her first one in the middle of the night on the roost. Just make sure you have some golf balls in the nest box and they usually will start laying in the box. Good Luck.

3. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    I've gotten my first three eggs this week - 2 have been at the top of the kids' sliding board :eek:

Derby

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Our 12 pullets are 21 weeks old now...and NOT ONE EGG!!! I can't figure it out and my daughter is making all kinds of excuses for them...it's hot...it's raining...they're free ranging all day...they just haven't "matured" yet...etc....

I say they are chicken and dumplings if they don't start laying in the next month or so!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by