Found eggs in my driveway, can I possibly hatch them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Coop de Grille, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    If so, how?

I am very new to chickens. I have 17 of them, but they are 2 months and younger. I do not have a broody hen.

I walk my driveway everyday and today was the first I have ever seen eggs in the woods next to me. There were six of them, two my dogs got to and ate, we gave two to my neighbor who was outside with us when found them and brought two home.

[​IMG]

2. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    There's no harm in trying. I've found clutches of eggs my turkeys have hid on me. I'd certainly rather try to hatch them then take the chances to eat them!

Candle them after a few days in the incubator and you'll know if they are viable or not. You don't want to wait until the end, if they are rotting inside, they can explode. It's pretty smelly. So incubate for a few days to a week, and then candle them and see what happens next!

3. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    So who laid the eggs???

4. if they are only two months and younger dosnt that mean they can't even lay eggs yet? and yes, it does not hurt to hatch them, but if you don't have a rooster then they won't be fertile. are they you're chickens eggs?

5. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    No, they are not my chickens eggs. Mine are confined in a secure coop/run and there is no way any of them got out. None of them are laying, although one started crowing. I have no idea who's eggs they are, or if they are even chicken eggs. They are a normal large egg size. Some of my neighbors have chickens, but none that are right next to me. I have never seen chickens free ranging around here due to the number of dogs that wander.

6. Coop de Grille

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Forgot to add: My neighbor came over with the two eggs we gave her and we cracked them to see if they were fertile. My 6 yr old (the one holding them in the pic) had shaken them and the yolks were both broke when I cracked them. So I don't know if they are fertile, or if the two eggs I have were shaken and also have broken yolks.

7. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    How mysterious! I would try to hatch them. They look like chicken eggs to me (vs duck or turkey)

8. i would try if you don't know if there is a roo. but i was saying if you knew for sure there was no roo then dontbother. but BOTHER!!! sounds fun! but i wouldn't get my hopes up bc they might not hatch... tell us if they do!

9. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas

Sounds like you have a future postal worker on your hands [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by