1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Found eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by backyardfarmfamily, May 11, 2008.

1. backyardfarmfamily

backyardfarmfamily Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    Texas
    Because we rearranged the coop my hens are laying in new places and today my son found three eggs out in the grass. They can't be too old because we would have noticed them but they can certainly be a couple days old. How long can eggs go outside before you should throw them out? And since we don't know how long these have been out there in the sun - I'm in Texas - should we not chance it? Is there any way to tell if an egg is no longer good?

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Whats the weather been like? If it has not been too hot, I would think they still are okay to eat. People leave eggs out on the counters for a week pretty regularly (though not in the sun). When you open it up, just do it in a separate container before adding it to the recipe so you can check it out. On the other hand, if the idea of using them makes you sqeamish, just toss them, the girls will lay more eggs.

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    When we have 'questionable' eggs, we keep them separate and break indivdually in a little bowl. That way, if it's bad, it won't contaminate the whole batch. Amazing how well they stand up to stuff, but with free ranging barnyard chickens, we sometimes find clutches of eggs and no idea how long.

4. MonicaT

MonicaT Just Hatched

Dec 25, 2011
    Thanks for th information. Hadn't gotten but one or two eggs all week from my two hens and just discovered a clutch of 8 that are still cool to the touch in the late afternoon. They were well hidden among the offshoots of a redwood tree, far away from sunlight. I'll mark them and use them separately. I'm assuming I'd know when I crack them if they are bad. :D

5. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I found five today, Im confused, they all lay in nest boxes. Im thinking my light brahma pullet laid these. who else could have I mean everyone is laying now but her. Im going to watch very closely now ! she is only 18 weeks today, but comb and waddles b e there smaller there bright red.

6. AngelWrangler50

AngelWrangler50 New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    What about that saying, bad eggs sink?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by