found first egg(s)- still on grower/finisher....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by boxermom&nowchicks, Aug 9, 2011.

1. boxermom&nowchicks

boxermom&nowchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Cold Spring, KY
    will it hurt them? I still have about 25# left of grower finisher and found my first egg(s) today. now i am concerned that they are not getting the proper feed. any advice?

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I would definitely add oyster shell so they have some calcium option to help with the eggs. If they are all close to laying age, it might be time to switch

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Finish up what you have. Keep the shells from the eggs and crush them up and feed them back to the girls or supplement with oyster shell.

4. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    The same thing happend to me I bought a small bag of layer feed and mixed it in with the grower/finisher i had left and when they finished it up i started them on the layer feed

5. Ramp45

Ramp45 New Egg

Dec 29, 2010
    I have 5 almost 5 mon. old chickens and 2 have started laying (small eggs)[​IMG]. I'm still feeding grower feed, but worry about the 2 layers. Help! [​IMG]

6. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I've kept all my chickens on grower/finisher and they are all now starting to lay. I also keep oyster shell out at all times. The eggs are well formed, good thick shells and no problems so far.
    Going to switch to layer feed soon as they get almost done with current bag of feed.

7. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Quote:That's what I'd do myself.

8. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I finished off my bag by mixing it with layer, that way it was a gradual change. Where you excited to find your first egg?? I was such a geek last fall, I had to call y husband who was across the province to tell him I got my first egg ahahaha.

Ema

9. Ramp45

Ramp45 New Egg

Dec 29, 2010
    Thanks everyone! Great advice. Ema-I couldn't wait to put pics on FB and email those not on FB. I even sent a text to my son with the pic. LOL We now have 8 eggs but they are still small. How long does it take for them to get bigger? Our Barred Rock and Black Jersy Giant are the two laying. We also have White Leghorn and Ameruacana.[​IMG]

10. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    we can be so geeky sometimes huh?? lol...some people looked at me like I was weird cause I was so excited about my first eggs lol. like a kid in a candy store!!

As for your question it al depends on your chickens, but mine...the first week the eggs were about a small, the following week they were medium and by the third week they were large. I have some chickens that lay xl eggs and they are some beautiful eggs too.

so I would think, that within the month they will reach their normal average size of egg.

My very first eggs I had from my girls were hard boiled, both my younger son and my dh never ate eggs because they had a bad reaction from them. since getting chickens and trying the first free range, farm fresh egg they have not any stomach issues at all. that right then and there told me I had made the right choice in pursuing chicken keeping.

Ema

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by