Found free old shed...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kvmommy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Songster

Jan 2, 2011
  2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Not sure how to take it down, but I'd kill for a barn like that!! Really nice. Could you possibly hire someone with a flatbed truck and haul the thing intact?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Songster

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Wow, pretty.

I can see the potential all over it.

Window boxes, weather vane, covered run to one side.......

Go for it!

4. packmomma

packmomma Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Just tell him that it will look so cool at your house when its done. You'll help him take it down, you'll love him forever (not that you wont already), pretty pretty please that you'll never ask for anything else (till it needs paint, windows, etc lol), and lastly you can even say all us crazy people on here would kill for that barn. Too bad you can just pop it on a trailer and haul it over to your house!

5. TheWaddler

TheWaddler Chirping

Sep 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    2-3 people with a few good hammers, nail bars and a sawz-all with a few good blades and you could have it down in half a day. Oh yea, will need a ladder to get to the roof but think with no construction experience you could get it down in less than a day for sure. Get that siding off and it goes quick. Depending on the style of roof (plywood or shiplap...tongue and groove boards) I would cut it up. If it is plywood I would just cut between the rafters and start at top of ridge and cut all the way to the eaves. Then set the saw depth to where it only cuts through the shingles and plywood and cut horizontally every 3-4 feet up starting at the eave again and work till you get to the ridge. Now you will have cut the roof into a bunch of plywood squares (roughly 3 x3 ply squares) that still have the shingles attached to them. Just pull the squares up and scrap them, fastest way to get a plywood (this works best with OSB, plywood can come off in full sheets by hitting with a 2x4 from below to drive it up) roof off and since you can't hardly save OSB once it has been shot down its not worth the trouble of trying to save it. If it is plywood that hasn't gotten wet or shiplap that hasn't gotten any dry rot I would try to save it and reuse when you rebuild. I would also pull the roof before I pulled the siding, just in case their is no sheer bracing in it, the siding will keep it standing while you work on top.

6. Noymira

Noymira Songster

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I hope you go for it! That looks like it could make a great coop! Sorry, not much construction advice from me, but go for it!

7. gdplum

gdplum In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    Tulsa
    ...looking at the photo of the "free shed" ....gives me the shivers. Lots of work ahead for your husband...and crew. I hope my wife doesnt come up with a similar idea. Ain't nothing free!!!! You could purchase a ready made shed or coop for a thousand...and have time to spend with your new chickens...instead of working on a free project for weeks. Just my opinion.......

8. mcfarmall

mcfarmall In the Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    Kalamazoo
    Quote:Some folks have more time than money. If you got the time go for it, I would in a hearbeat. Take lots of photos after you mark the pieces with a paint stick.

9. 3forfree

3forfree Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    We moved a shed once, not that big, but bigger than the trailer that I had. I called a wrecker service, and told him what I wanted to do, they brought out a big trailer with hydraulics, and a winch, and it worked just like a roll back deck, We jacked up the front, and got his trailer lip under it, then he wrapped a strap around it and winched the whole thing up onto the trailer.

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My main concern would be how much the wood is rotted along the bottom. You can see in the picture some rot along the bottom which could mean the sills are rotted too. Hard to tell for sure just by pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: