Found Goose - No Idea What To Do

creiser

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2022
Hello,

About a month ago this beautiful goose happened upon our property. We have a pond and some land and I think he/she felt comfortable here. I work from home and spend time with Goose throughout the day. He/She was very scared of me at first but has since become calm. I can pet him/her and I think she/he enjoys the company (and I enjoy hers/his!)

However, I am afraid she is quite lonely and I would have no idea what to do when winter comes. Can someone help me with the following?
  1. I don't even know what breed or gender Goose is.
  2. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can find Goose a new, suitable home?
Goose Friend 1.JPG
Goose Friend 2.JPG

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Cristina

Geese are very anxious on their own so another’s goose is necesary as a friend. It can be the same or on-site gender as them.

They will need some kind of shelter to keep them out of the elements when wither comes, a roofed dog kennel works well.

What has she been eating?

@creiser did you mean finding a way to have a house for your goose friend or a new home with a new family?
If you'll share your state there is a state forum here on BYC and you can go and share pictures and ask if anyone is interested.
It's at "Where am I where are you"
She is gorgeous, so sad when they are dumped thank goodness you like her.

I’m not 100% sure but I think it’s a SHE, but she’s 100% a Buff goose.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help! (@Goosebaby @iturnknobs @Miss Lydia @SmiYa0126 @Iain Utah)

I live in the farmland of NJ (near PA). We have several acres of land - lots of grass, some wooded areas, and a big old pond she likes to hang around. She spends much of her time munching on grass, and I feed her whole oats for snacks.

My initial plan was to find a new family for her, preferably one with other similar animals (but not to eat her!). I will check out the NJ and PA forums, as @Miss Lydia suggested, and see if there is a good match.

If we can’t find something, we will get a goose buddy and build a shelter for them. We are thinking of a floating goose house in the middle of the pond.

Cristina

Thanks to everyone for all of your help! (@Goosebaby @iturnknobs @Miss Lydia @SmiYa0126 @Iain Utah)

I live in the farmland of NJ (near PA). We have several acres of land - lots of grass, some wooded areas, and a big old pond she likes to hang around. She spends much of her time munching on grass, and I feed her whole oats for snacks.

My initial plan was to find a new family for her, preferably one with other similar animals (but not to eat her!). I will check out the NJ and PA forums, as @Miss Lydia suggested, and see if there is a good match.

If we can’t find something, we will get a goose buddy and build a shelter for them. We are thinking of a floating goose house in the middle of the pond.

Cristina
From what I know ducks love those floating houses, I have no idea if geese do. Most geese have difficulty wanting to go into a shelter that isnt a bush, so I wouldn’t have high hopes of them using the floating house.

Usually they have to be herded into a cage at night for their own well-being.

I put my geese away every night, just like @Goosebaby suggests. We're on a schedule that they comply with willingly due to food/treat rewards. I really hope you keep that bird. You've really got a special one if you can pet it. My special bird is no longer with me due to gander on gander fighting. Have someone help you vent sex it or do a DNA test and get it a mate. My birds are the cutest pair and they really need another to "watch out" when preening, eating and sleeping. I wish you the best of luck and will look for updates.

Back
Top Bottom